750 thanks to the website

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

750 thanks to the website

by whatsupma » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:06 am
I spent about two weeks preparing for it, and most of my practice involved using the resources from this site (the only other significant one was the Kaplan 800).

I love this site.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:58 am
Congratulations :)
750 is superb score!!

Well! as tradition of BtG forums, will expect a detailed post about your GMAT journey!

by whatsupma » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:37 pm
Hello all,

Sorry, finally found some time to update.
Again, I only had about three weeks to cram for this. My hard resources were limited to the Kaplan GMAT and the Kaplan 800. I skimmed through the first but spent some time reviewing the second.

Also, DEFINIITELY review the various notes for the sentence completion and data sufficiency (I had trouble with probability) provided on this site. Very helpful.

I don't think my experience is very characteristic, considering I am sort of a standardized text expert- I have tutored SAT's for several years, have already taken the LSAT several times (when I wanted to be a lawyer), and the GRE. In fact, I actually received a 750 on the diag (the GMAT cd) I took before any studying, and was worried that this was a fluke. Interestingly, this was my actual score, so I can't exactly tell you that my regimen was a good one. However, I can tell you that the Kaplan diags are very skewed, I received around a 650 on those consistently.

Finally, I'm not sure how much truth there is to having to get the first few questions right to do well- I got a 49 on the math, and am quite sure that I got the first one wrong after spending nearly 8 minutes on it (bad decision). Luckily, I did well on the rest of the test.

OK, good luck everyone!

by Stele » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:07 am
Hello whatsupma,

Great score on the test! When you refer to the Kaplan CATs, do you mean the four that come with the Kaplan Premiere book (2008 edition) on a CD? The questions on those tests seem a lot easier than the MGMAT CATs by a huge margin. I was just wondering if you think the Kaplan CAT questions are easier or harder than the real thing.

by whatsupma » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:40 pm
Thanks.
I do mean the four that come on CD, they were MUCH harder than the CAT they send you when you register, and the real thing was much closer to the the latter than the Kaplan. I think general consensus is that Kaplan CAT's are much harder than the real thing, and I absolutely agree. Again, add 100 points to your kaplan score, and that's a much better estimate.