730 (V46, Q45). GMAT beaten but not broken

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

730 (V46, Q45). GMAT beaten but not broken

by collster37 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:37 am
Hey everyone, I've been stalking these boards for around two months now, since the day I registered to take the GMAT. I just finished my test a few hours ago, and I'm seeking some of the sage advice I've seen all over these forums for my current situation.

Here's the full breakdown of my score:

AWA: don't know, but I am confident this will be solid.

IR: 6 (67th percentile, this was pretty surprisingly low for me, but I did not prepare at all for this section save for the parts I did in practice CAT's I taken previously)

Quantitative: 45 (63rd percentile, very disappointed in this part of the test because I paced myself extremely poorly and ran out of time. I ended up guessing on about 5 of the last 10 questions to finish all the questions in time. I had never had pacing issues on any of the previous seven practice tests I had take. I think I had some test day jitters that really dug me into a hole early on in this section.)

Verbal: 46 (99th percentile, solid and this is about where I expected to score. this section is intuitive and easy for me.)

I'm not interested in applying to MBA programs, and that's not why I took the GMAT. My life's ambition is to go to a top business school for a Ph.D., and my understanding is that these are very competitive programs where high GMAT's are a must. My score is 96th percentile, and based on some very cursory research, seems to be a good enough score to warrant consideration at top Ph.D. programs. However, I have a few concerns.

1.) My integrated reasoning score is fairly poor, and I'm not sure if that will factor into my application in any negative sense. I have seen people consistently comment here and elsewhere that B-schools aren't factoring in IR or don't place much importance on it. Am I correct here? More importantly, how do Ph.D. programs look at this section? If it is going to dismiss my otherwise strong application, I will need to retake the GMAT and bump this up significantly.

2.) My score is lopsided big time, as you can see. This has been the general trend, but my last few practice tests were trending toward a much better balance. My background and work experience is in finance, but my discipline interest is in strategy/strategic management, NOT finance. Will the lopsided score hurt me in this context?

The test prep programs I purchased are good for 365 days, so I can take the test again in the summer after my work's busy season is over and go for my 750 target score. But, if the two concerns I've stated above wont hurt me considerably, then I will probably pass on that and stick with my current score. I should also note I wont be applying to any programs until fall of 2015, so I have time for a potential retake.

The remainder of the Ph.D. application (letters of recommendation, solid GPA, statement of purpose, etc.) are all solid. My undergrad GPA is close to 4.0, I have several professors who can attest to research abilities and academic promise, and I am extremely confident in my writing abilities for the statement of purpose.

All that said, any advice? I know most of this stuff is MBA focused, but I figure there will be some posters out there who know enough to answer these questions as well. Thanks in advance y'all, this board has been so helpful in my two-month journey to this score, and perhaps my journey next summer to a 750+.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:45 am
Hi collster37,

A 730/Q46 is a fantastic performance, so chances are pretty good that you're set with this score (and you won't need to retest). Since your situation is somewhat unique for this Forum (most site visitors aren't on the path to a PhD), you might be better served speaking with an Admissions Expert about your situation (there's a Forum full of them on this site).

In addition, the respective PhD programs that you're interested in will likely have information for you (either on a website or by contacting the School directly). I'd be far more likely to trust THAT information and perspective than whatever you might receive from random strangers (who are not experts on admissions nor PhD programs).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by collster37 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:20 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi collster37,

A 730/Q46 is a fantastic performance, so chances are pretty good that you're set with this score (and you won't need to retest). Since your situation is somewhat unique for this Forum (most site visitors aren't on the path to a PhD), you might be better served speaking with an Admissions Expert about your situation (there's a Forum full of them on this site).

In addition, the respective PhD programs that you're interested in will likely have information for you (either on a website or by contacting the School directly). I'd be far more likely to trust THAT information and perspective than whatever you might receive from random strangers (who are not experts on admissions nor PhD programs).

Rich
Thanks so much for the quick reply Rich! Super helpful. I will speak with some experts.

by knowurweakness » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:32 am
Congratulations collster37 on your achieving 730 and beat the GMAT! Can you enlighten me on what test prep course comprised your two-month journey to conquer this test?
I am a novice on this BTG platform and would like to get some useful insights on strategizing my future GMAT study plan. Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 am
Hi knowurweakness,

It sounds like you're just starting to put together a study plan. If you can answer a couple of questions, then I'll be happy to offer some advice:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What is your goal score?

To help you with your overall timeline, you should know that most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on consistent study time before they take the GMAT. During that time, it's quite common to spend 10-15 hours (or more) per week, so studying for the GMAT is similar to having a part-time job. It's a big task, but it's not too bad when it's broken down into small pieces. Since the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, you CAN train to CRUSH it.

Have you done any studying so far or taken any practice CAT tests?

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]