730 Q 50 V40, AWA 6.0 - yay!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

730 Q 50 V40, AWA 6.0 - yay!!

by rohu27 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:06 am
This turned out to soo longg...pardon me!!!

I am 26 yr old female from India, working as an IT professional. I decided to give GMAT around Jan 2010. That is when I stumbled upon this wonderful site.(Thanks a ton Eric).I bought OG 12, MGMAT SC. Studied for few days, then GMAT took backseat due to various reasons (Never ever do this - its very difficult to gain the same momentum you start off with). I strongly decided late Dec 2010 that I will give my GMAT first half of 2011. I was at home for 2 full months (Jan & Feb) - thanks to my surgery. This is the time i really did study for this exam.

Following are the books I "intended" to use:
1)OG 12
2)Verbal & Quant guides
3)MGMAT SC
4)E-gmat online course
5)Aristotle SC Grail
6)Powerscore CR Bible
7)Aristotle CR Question bank
8)Kaplan Premier Edition
9)RC 99

But it was a different story when I started my prep. BTG became an important source. I started off with Kaplan Premier - nothing great to write about. But if you have time on your side, you can start off with this. Boosts your confidence as the question bank is rather at a medium level. Then came OG - THE BIBLE. Even though it is said many times, I would still say it once more - Do each and every problem from OG - the way Ron advises you to. Though I implemented Ron's method only for the SC. For Quant, it was a pain for me to analyse the answers which I got right - I know you are supposed to do that, but I didnt. SC - I analysed each option for every question.

Quant:

Coming to the section wise prep, Quant - it was only OG for me. Being brought up in India, quant was something I was fed upon. Didnt have much difficulty in this section. I wrote down few formulas and concepts I picked up from BTG and mock tests, and revised them. I did OG PS section early on in my prep.

CR:

I decided to study Powerscore after I heard rave reviews about it. Trust me, its a great source if you are struggling with the CR part. But for me it was the opp. AFter studying few chapters, when I tried to implement the technique, I found out that my CR accurachy actaullly dropped. I stumbled upon Ron's post at the sametime in which he advised to reatin inherent abilities if any for CR strengthen and weaken questions. I only used negation technique from CR Bible. Rest I left it to my reasoning capabilities.

RC:

I did struggle in this section early on. I tried various methods such as skimming, reading the first and last paras for this section.Also, theres too much emphasis on writing notes. I am not saying its not a right strategy, but one size doesnt fit all. I actually lost track of what I was reading, if I wrote down something. My reading speed and comprehension abilities are decent, so I realised I am better off reading the entire passage once and only then start with the questions.Practised this with RC 99. Did all the easy level passages and about half of the medium level ones. RC 99 is quite different from GMAT. So use it with caution. Only you can decide whether it suits you or not. Do not be intimidated by the length or content of the passages. Also, few answers are at best debatable. So dont fret much over those.GMATprep RC's - I actually enjoyed doing them. Not very lengthy but tricky ones.

SC:

Now, to my favourite part(pun intended ;)). I hate this section. MGMAT SC is great. I will not waste your time praising that book. Enough has been said already. I also went through e-gmat and aristotle grail But still I reached a stagnation level with my SC's. I could not push beyond. Instead of learning new rules, I thought I am better off being able to implement correctly the ones I already know. So I decided to concentrate on the following in my mock tests SC's(thanks to Ron for this too):
1)Meaning
2)Parallelism
3)Modifiers
4)Idioms(if it falls into the small list I had prepared)
5)Verb Tense
If I could figure out the correct answer from the above, fine else I decided I would trust my ear. My 40 in verbal I am sure is because of my SC. I must have for sure got around 4-5 SC's wrong.

Mock Tests:

The important part of one's prep. GMAT is all about patience. A lotttt (trust me this lottt is a lotttt) depends on how well can you concentrate for 4 long hours. Never give your mocks without AWA.Its a waste in my view. I gave all my tests with AWA and at the same timings my actual exam was. It is important to make sure you give mocks in almost the same environment as you would be giving your GMAT. Have proper sleep even before the day you give mocks. A sleep deprived mind cant concentrate for long. I even made sure I gave my mocks with lens on (as I did for my actual exam), coz I wanted to see whether my eyes could concentrate for 4 hours even with my lens on.I gave 6 MGMAT tests, GMAT prep - 4 times, 1 PR free test, Kaplan - 4 tests, Veritas free one - so total around 16 tests. This is what I did every weekend for the past 2 months.

My Mock test scores:

MGMAT 1: 700
MGMAT 2: 690
MGMAT 3: 740
MGMAT 4: 690
MGMAT 5: 750
MGMAT 6: 740
PR free test: 720
GMAT PREP 1:730
GMAT PREP 2: 740
GMAT PREP 1(Retake):720
GMAT PREP 2(Retake):740
Kaplan Diag Test: 640
Kaplan 1:650
Kaplan 2:710
Kaplan 3:720

MGMAT CAT's are the next best after GMAT Prep. Kaplan tests - give them only to test your stamina. Not very advisable.

Exam Day:

Day prior to the exam I was solving the 198 questions from GMATPREP. Its an awesome collection. But I couldnt do many.

I had my slot at 11 o clk in Hyd, India. (Quick advice for people in Hyd, the Pearson Vue centre is exactly opp to Levis showroom in Begumpet. Not exactly opp to Shopper Stop as mentioned in the GMAC website.Levis is few blocks before SS.) I didnt take any granula bars or energy drinks (as most of them here mention they do). I knew my body wouldnt like them. I packed good old water.

I was allowed to start exam at 10 30. AWA went pretty fine. Came out, had some water. I finished writing my issue 10 mins before. So wrote my timing shcedule for Quant on the scratch pad. I followed MGMAT's timing schedule all thru my mock tests. So used the same for Q and V. Quant started. Spent almost 4 mins on the first question. It was a simple one though. Didnt panic as I knew I can nail quant. I had 50 in all the gmatpreps. Rest went pretty fine. I was surprised to see around 4-5 set theory questions. Guessed on the last one. Felt I performed ebough to get a 50. As i knew from gmatprep, even if I make more than 5 mistakes, 50 can be achieved. Another break, another glass of water.
Verbal started. I had no idea how it was going, except for I felt good when I got a bold faced CR at Q 11.(I felt I Was performing well :P ) One thing I knew, I was performing at the same level as I did on my gmatprep. Finished on time. No surprises in the verbal section(Lost of discussions going on here about GMAC changing algorithm, Verbal getting tougher etc).
I can say now for sure, GMATPREP is the closest you can get. Nothing, mind you no prep company's mock test can come even relatively close to the original than Gmatprep. This is repeated so often, but only when you give the exam you realise how true it is.

I could not sit through the IR section. Finished it off in 10 mins. No way I was cancelling my score. Next, I see a 730 - was more than elated. Came out, had a close look at teh print the proctor had given, it still said 730 :D. Smiles all round!!

Few Pointers:

A is not equal to B. You are not like me. This is very important. We keep reading so manyy strategies on net and try to follow them. Never do that. Your mind cant function the same as others. You gotto figure out what works best for you. Be it the way you will prepare for exam, be it the way you write your mocks, or what you carry with you on test day. Anyhting. Take advice, but make sure it works for you. This exam is so different from the others(atleast what I have given in my life till date).
Taking off from your prep is very important (as Ron says about Latent retention). Do not study if you dont feel like. Also, imagine yourself writing a debrief on BTG. It may help you like it did in my case. Never loose your self belief even though whatever people may say about Verbal getting tougher or GMAC has changed their algorithm. I have gone thru all this, you read such stories and start to panic. Never helps.

Hindsight, I would have loved to finish off the verbal guide too and review my OG verbal questions I got wrong. I wasnt able to do any.

Nd yeah, btw, I love Ron. hes simply awesum!!!
Infact all the experts here and my co-BTG memebers, all of you are awesum.

Wish me luck in my apps!!

~Cheers,
Rohini
Last edited by rohu27 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by abhisays » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:14 am
Congrats Rohini, great score. Looking forward for your GMAT prep. story.

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 am
Hey,
Congrats on your great score. Good Luck with your apps!
Cheers!

Things are not what they appear to be... nor are they otherwise

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 pm
rohu27 wrote:So here i am finally done wth my exam. Too exhausted at the moment. Will surely follow it up with my prep story nd all. Feels so nice at the moment. :)

~Cheers,
Rohini

congratulations rohu- good to see one of the 'veterans' on BTG score big. Good job !!!
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:31 am
Thanks abhisays, Sandeep nd bblast.
bblast,
all the best for ur exam .

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 pm
Congrats on the great score. It seems in our case a=b. I have not yet taken GMAT, but I am exactly feeling like you felt. I am enjoying the OG RCs, loving the CRs, and hating SCs. And I like quant too. Lol.

All the best for your application process.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uday1255 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:41 pm
Hi Rohini,
Congrats on your great Performance on the GMAT.What is your take on the sentence correction in vebal section.I have centered my prepration on MGMAT SC book and the OG.Are the questions on the real Exam close to what are in the OG?I mean in the OG for most questions i use the 2/3 split and then for the final answer appply the other rules.while i am doing good on the other sections SC is pulling down my score heavily.can you please suggest ?

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:29 pm
uday1255 wrote:Hi Rohini,
Congrats on your great Performance on the GMAT.What is your take on the sentence correction in vebal section.I have centered my prepration on MGMAT SC book and the OG.Are the questions on the real Exam close to what are in the OG?I mean in the OG for most questions i use the 2/3 split and then for the final answer appply the other rules.while i am doing good on the other sections SC is pulling down my score heavily.can you please suggest ?
As I said Iam the wrong person to guide you on SC. But I would say the original SC's resembled the ones in GMAT prep than anything else.
One thing, make sure you do all the 200 SC's colletion from gmatprep. Do them the way SC's are supposed to be done. Its a great resource. Also in the last few weeks or so, make sure you are surrounded only by official material.You will get a feel of gmat like sentences.

HTH
Rohu.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uday1255 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:39 pm
Thanks Rohini .I am an IT pro from hyderabad aiming to do a 700+ on the GMAT.Can you please Upload the SC Collection from GMAT PREP ?I have my exam in a months time from now .I hope you would respond to queries.Which Schools are you planning to apply to ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:31 pm
rohu27 wrote:Thanks abhisays, Sandeep nd bblast.
bblast,
all the best for ur exam .
thank you rohu- I am in 'next change'. :/
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by viv_gmat » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:21 am
Hearty Congratulations...
Have great fun with your apps
Cheers

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:35 am
congratulations Rohini!
Great score !!!
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:41 am
uday1255 wrote:Thanks Rohini .I am an IT pro from hyderabad aiming to do a 700+ on the GMAT.Can you please Upload the SC Collection from GMAT PREP ?I have my exam in a months time from now .I hope you would respond to queries.Which Schools are you planning to apply to ?
I will send you the doc once iam home.
As I have 5 yrs exp, im looking at 1 year MBA programs first. Im still doing my research on the colleges stuff.
Let me know if any other doubts.

Rohu

Legendary Member

by rohu27 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:44 am
uday1255 wrote:Thanks Rohini .I am an IT pro from hyderabad aiming to do a 700+ on the GMAT.Can you please Upload the SC Collection from GMAT PREP ?I have my exam in a months time from now .I hope you would respond to queries.Which Schools are you planning to apply to ?
I will send you the doc once iam home.
As I have 5 yrs exp, im looking at 1 year MBA programs first. Im still doing my research on the colleges stuff.
Let me know if any other doubts.

Rohu

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:59 am
where is the party? hyderabad taj banjara.... :)
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.