MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer

720 (96th Percentile) - How I Beat The GMAT!

This topic has 42 expert replies and 111 member replies
Goto page Previous Next
khat Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 pm
Thanks for the advice!

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
ChariesGMAT Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 pm
I really like your post, its very detailed and offers a lot of helpful tips. Thanks.

prasad.friend Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
12 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:36 pm
Great score congrats Smile

ankit.sh Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:24 pm
Thanks for the Great tips and advice Smile

Ankit!!

limitless27 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:22 am
Good Work!!! Sound like hard work pays off Smile

rattan.ds Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
4 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:09 pm
Hey guys, great to read all the super stuff.
I'm just starting my prep. Have 8yrs experience and completely out of touch with academics. How do you suggest I start my prep? Since, I'm working how would you rate 2-3hrs on weekdays and 5-6hrs on the weekend from now on if I want to score 720+ in May, 2014 ?

azad19 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages
Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:06 am
hI..
Could you please tell me that how did you start with your Sentence crrection or any of the weak area. Did you first completed from the basic books and then moved to OG?
devansh_god wrote:
hey eric,

first congrats on scoring 720........
second pls guide me on some of the points..... Smile

Quote:
I would do about 40 problems a day and would carefully review all explanations and analyze all errors. To help me analyze my errors, I recorded all my answers onto an Excel grid originally created by Ursula. This grid greatly aided me in determining where my weaknesses were in each section.
how do we "analyze" our errors?? i mean that ........ suppose i know that i made an error in a particular ques. jus coz i didnt understand it..... so what sort of analysis will we do ( i know i m sounding damn dumb...... but this is a dilemma for me Sad )

would u be kind enough to share with us beginners......... the excel grid created by ursula??? thanx in advance Very Happy

Quote:
Keep it short: Try to keep your test prep within 2-3 months. Extending your prep too much can lead to burnout as well as forgetfulness.
eric........ Crying or Very sad pls pls pls say you are wrong......... Sad ........coz i have more than 1.5years on my hand..........and i started preparing for gmat...... Crying or Very sad ..... thoght it would b a nice idea if i started as early as possible.................... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

saria16 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
1 messages
Post Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:16 pm
beatthegmat wrote:
Click here to see this original post at the Beat The GMAT! Blog

I was initially confused about how I would design my study plan, but fortunately I discovered two incredible TestMagic posts by two incredible people: Ursula and TwinnSplitter. Both were high scorers themselves, and each had an excellent methodology for attacking the GMAT. I urge all future GMAT test prep folk to check out their posts.
Hi,

I'm new here and I would like to have access to the Beat The GMAT blog. How should I do it?
Also, I wanted to see this Ursula e TwinnSplitter methodology. Where can I find it? In this blog I suppose?

Thanks!

karencbrown Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:19 pm
Hi ,
First of all congratulations on your score something which is every guys dream.
I had read your experience and found it very helpful.
I would appreciate if you can give me a link so that I can download
Spidey's Sentence Correction Notes, and Sahil's Sentence Correction Notes.

sheetal gupta Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:23 am
Do you want to score 750+ on your GMAT. join top-one-percent GMAT institute in DELHI,Bangalore By Sandeep Gupta.http://www.top-one-percentdelhi.com/

Jamie007 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
2 messages
Post Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:08 am
Hi everyone, I just took the gmat and I scored a 690 (Q48V37). It may not be a terrific score, but its really good compared to my previous attempt, especially my verbal score.

First of all thank you E-Gmat! Your materials are the best bar none.

To begin with, I was confident about quantitative section of the GMAT because I thought that being an engineer, I had some quantitative advantage. I was not completely wrong but I realized that approaching questions in a timed manner needed a lot of practice and only a sound understanding of mathematics was not enough. Specially, the Data Sufficiency part of the quantitative section needed careful attention to details. My poor verbal score always demotivated me from taking the actual exam.

I am a non-native English speaker. So naturally, gmat’s verbal section turned out to be hard for me. I am sharing my experience to give an idea about how my hard work paid off.

I have been planning to take the gmat for 2.5 years now. Over the past years, I invested in multiple online gmat courses and also attended a classroom training. None of them helped me improve verbal my score beyond the 31-33 range. SC and CR always trapped me. So I kept postponing my gmat forever. Finally, with whatever preparation I thought I had, I finally took the actual gmat on Feb 6th, 2015. I wasn’t surprised by the score - 580 (Q48V22)

I had subscribed to E-gmat’s verbal online program a while ago, but I made a bad decision by not giving it due importance. I must admit it was the worst decision I took with regard to my gmat preparation. Looking back, I now realize I would never have ended up with a V22 had I used E-gmat during my preparations. I corrected this mistake for my second attempt. This time, I didn’t refer any other material other than E-gmat and the official guides. The course perfectly covers all areas of the gmat verbal, from absolute basics to the advanced concepts.

From the first day of using e-gmat itself, I was able to make out the difference in the way I analyzed questions. E-gmat’s pre-thinking in CR and their structured approach to SC really helped me improve in those areas. My accuracy in CR improved from 25-30% to 75% in less than 10 days. Pre-thinking really helped me have a better grip on the question even before I read the answer choices. Though it was time consuming in the beginning, with practice, I was able to answer CR questions accurately in much less time.

In SC too, E-gmat’s step by step method to identify errors in a sentence really helped me improve my accuracy. Following the procedure in the exact same way helped me identify and eliminate wrong answer choices quickly. I was almost able to answer every SC question in less than a minute. E-gmat workshops provide wonderful materials.

Once again I thank E-gmat for the wonderful program. I would recommend every gmat aspirant to take their trial and see for yourself how useful it can be, especially for those who find CR and SC hard and those who wish to take the gmat with less time to prepare. 

imtiazali Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:22 pm
are you referring to egmat.com or empowergmat.com ?

Jamie007 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
2 messages
Post Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:05 am
Sorry for the late response. I am referring to Egmat (https://e-gmat.com/)

PerGadhi Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages
Post Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:59 am
I have a doubt . You said you got 50 in quant and 40 in verbal ,
I saw in a book that it directly translates to 31 questions correct in verbal and and 30 questions correct in quant.
Can you throw some light on how many questions need to be attempted correctly to score 720

sunil1982 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:40 am
Thank you Eric for the great insights. You have written that you spend around 2-4 hours per day practicing; I am a working professional and plan to appear for GMAT for my further studies, I have recently started and currently I am dedicating 1-2 hours a day for the preparation, do you think this is good enough and when do you suggest I plan the exams?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Regards,
Sunil

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 111 topics
2 ardz24 64 topics
3 LUANDATO 62 topics
4 swerve 60 topics
5 AAPL 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

160 posts
2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

130 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

122 posts
4 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

122 posts
5 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

118 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts