710 Q49 V36 Retaking?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

710 Q49 V36 Retaking?

by fatchoco » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 pm
Hi everybody,

So I just took the GMAT today. I started studying about a month ago and really didn't have much time to go over all the materials. I got IR4 Q49 V38. The total score is 710 (92% percentile), which is not so bad. However, my IR score is very low, I know, and my verbal is not so good either. I scored around 41 42 on the GMAT prep before. I know if I study more verbal, I could at least improve it by 4 or 5 points, but would it be worth retaking the test?

For some backgrounds, I am a senior at a very small liberal art school in New England. My GPA is decent: 3.7/4.0. I do a double major in International Relations and Finance with a minor in French, Honors Program. I have been interning at a small firm near my school for almost a year and really got involved. My firm is not well known, but I do make some impact at the firm. I am a club president at my school and really got involved in school activities as well.

For now, I am thinking of applying to the following programs:
- NYU Stern
- Isenberg
- Tuck
- INSEAD
- HEC

Thank you!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:23 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile, you have performed well academically in college and even achieved a competitive score on the GMAT while still a student. So if I read your profile properly you are trying to apply to business school right out of undergrad? If so, most of the top US MBA programs are looking for some full-time work experience which at this stage you do not have. Some of the european programs have a bit more flexibility with younger candidates so once you make the decision of when you want to apply and if it now then these would be the first to consider. Although my hunch even with these programs they will want to see some work experience.

I would re-take the GMAT to improve your score since you have the time and you seemed to get a strong score fairly easily. Next, i would start mapping out your desired career trajectory and when business school makes the most sense for you to apply.

Hope this helps
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!