710 GMAT, 2 year work experience, low GPA

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

A little about myself, I'm a new grad with 2 years of work experience. I'm applying an MBA to improve myself so I can switch my career from software engineering to product management.

I did my first 2 years of undergrad in a community college, finished with GPA 3.89/4. And then I transferred to University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. Finished with GPA 2.84/4. During my last winter semester at UM, I had to try 120% to get an internship since it was going to be my last summer at the school. I also took some really difficult engineering courses at the same time. That semester really hurt my GPA.

If I combine credits that I got from both colleges, I have a cumulative GPA 3.49/4.

I had my internship at Ford Motor, and now I'm working for a tech company which is under a fortune 200 corp in the bay area as a software developer.

My biggest concerns are: low GPA at UM, low IR(3 points) in GMAT, and low # years of work experience(2 years).

I'm having a hard time positioning myself. My undergrad school is top tier, but my GPA is low. My GMAT score is solid, but IR score is low.

Is it possible for me to get in top tier b schools like Hass, Ross, Wharton, Kellogg, etc? Or should I lower my expectation and go for 25-50 b schools?

Your help would truly be appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:22 pm
Why the rush? Adding a few more years of work experience will make you a much more competitive candidate and help to relieve the pressure on your low gpa. This also makes you more competitive for jobs after school and helps them contribute more and learn more during their program. Without any experience you probably won't have anything to base your learnings on. Take a few years and find a job you like and use that time to put together a strong application package.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by watchmyreplay » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:26 pm
Thanks a lot Michael. I'm international and my OPT is expiring. I have no choice but to rush it. :(
Michael@VeritasPrep wrote:Why the rush? Adding a few more years of work experience will make you a much more competitive candidate and help to relieve the pressure on your low gpa. This also makes you more competitive for jobs after school and helps them contribute more and learn more during their program. Without any experience you probably won't have anything to base your learnings on. Take a few years and find a job you like and use that time to put together a strong application package.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 pm
Ok, well in that case you should definitely apply soon! Given your profile, you should probably be able to get into a top twenty school. Maybe not top ten. Obviously since your GPA is low, everything else in your profile will have to be top notch. That means your essays and recommendation letters will have to be carefully considered and written exceptionally well. Good luck!