700 with terrible split

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

700 with terrible split

by TW03 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:00 pm
I just took the GMAT and came away with a 700 (39q, 46v). It goes without saying that I will be retaking the exam as soon as possible and would like to get some ideas on the best way to approach the quant section to better balance my score.

I started preparing about a month ago with the original guide and Grockit, I also purchased Total Math two weeks ago. My studying habits have been a little erratic due to starting a new job and my 7 month old baby. I took two GMATPrep tests, one last week (710, 42q, 46v) and another the week before (700, 43q, 43v). I find that my math score is extremely sensitive to the overall composition of the math questions and obviously need to remedy this problem. I believe that I would do quite a bit better with a systematic and progressive approach to the math and am looking for a 30 or 40 day program that tells me exactly what to do on a given day. The verbal is very easy for me and I don't see the utility in spending any more time trying to improve this score with such a large discrepancy between my scores.

I'm looking to bump my quant to at least a 45-46 while maintaining my verbal score, can anybody recommend a specific course of action for me?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:23 pm
Hi TW03,

First off, a 700 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile), so you've done really well so far. I understand why you want to retest; a Q39 is not going to impress anyone and depending on the school/program, it might be something of a "red flag."

Your primary "issue" appears to be that you think the Quant section of the GMAT is a "math test", when it's really not. You WILL do lots of little calculations as you work through the section, but most of the questions are "strategy" questions, which means that you have to put a greater emphasis on tactics, pattern matching, etc. to score at a higher level.

My guess is that you're missing out on a lot of DS points - DS questions emphasize a number of "areas" that are not (strictly speaking) "math areas." These include organization, accuracy, thoroughness, attention-to-detail, pattern matching, the ability to prove that you're correct, etc. To pick up these points, you have to change the way that you "see" the GMAT Quant section.

It's likely that the resources that you used didn't properly emphasize Quant tactics, so to improve to your new goal level, you'll likely need to invest in some new resources. With your current skills, it probably won't take much more than a month (or so) for you to put in the necessary reps and get comfortable with some new tactics.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by TW03 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:50 pm
Thanks Rich, I believe you are right about the mindset.

What particular resources do you recommend? I'm looking to retake ASAP and would prefer a structured system that tells me what to do on a daily basis--especially with how hectic things are lately.

by TW03 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:51 pm
Also, if it makes any difference in systems, my background in athletics has made me particularly good at pattern recognition.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:47 pm
Hi TW03,

I've sent you a private message with some suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]