700+ Rainforests

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 09, 2016 2:28 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: The implied subject may also precede the verbless clause.
A better rule:
A subordinate verbless clause must refer to the same subject as the main clause.
based on the above precise rule, can you please let me know whether I'm correct in the following official qs:

Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
----> here the underlined part beginning with IF is a verb-less clause creating ambiguity because its implied subject structure wise(re grammatically) can be either "Restorers" or "the colors", but meaning wise the implied subject of this verb-less clause should be "Restorers" (because it seems that we've two main clauses here -- one beginning with "Restorers" and another with "the colors")
right ?

so,this ambiguity is overcome in the oa in which verb-less clause beginning with IF is converted to a normal clause - if they are and the antecedent of "they" is "Restorers".

is this analysis correct ?
In my post above, I've amended the rule to make it even more precise:
A subordinate verbless clause must refer to the same subject as the main clause that the subordinate verbless clause serves to modify.

Original sentence:
Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
Here, the if-clause serves to modify the clause in red.
Thus, the implied subject of the if-clause is the colors (the subject of the red clause).
Conveyed meaning:
Restorers say that if the colors are allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
This meaning is nonsensical.

OA: Restorers say that if they are allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
Since in most cases a pronoun serves to refer to an antecedent -- a PRECEDING noun -- a reader of the OA will construe that they serves to refer to restorers (the preceding plural noun).
Thus, the intended meaning is crystal clear.
Restorers say that if the restorers are allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.
This meaning is sensical.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ngk4mba3236 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:26 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: In my post above, I've amended the rule to make it even more precise:
A subordinate verbless clause must refer to the same subject as the main clause that the subordinate verbless clause serves to modify.

Original sentence:
Here, the if-clause serves to modify the clause in red.
Thus, the implied subject of the if-clause is the colors (the subject of the red clause).
so,on GMAT in a if-then construction, the if-clause will ALWAYS be the subordinate clause modifying the main clause ---> then-clause. am I correct ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:Since in most cases a pronoun serves to refer to an antecedent -- a PRECEDING noun -- a reader of the OA will construe that they serves to refer to restorers (the preceding plural noun).
is it ALWAYS true on GMAT ?
I think,we can have antecedent of a pronoun in a following noun as well.

please clarify!

p.s: just curious to know that as for my analysis https://www.beatthegmat.com/700-rainfore ... tml#771614, is this analysis completely incorrect or slightly deflecting/inaccurate ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue May 10, 2016 4:22 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
so,on GMAT in a if-then construction, the if-clause will ALWAYS be the subordinate clause modifying the main clause ---> then-clause. am I correct ?
Correct.
GMATGuruNY wrote:Since in most cases a pronoun serves to refer to an antecedent -- a PRECEDING noun -- a reader of the OA will construe that they serves to refer to restorers (the preceding plural noun).
is it ALWAYS true on GMAT ?
I think,we can have antecedent of a pronoun in a following noun as well.
A pronoun that lacks a logical antecedent may refer to a following noun.
In the OA, they has a logical antecedent (restorers).
Thus, they must serve to refer to restorers.
p.s: just curious to know that as for my analysis https://www.beatthegmat.com/700-rainfore ... tml#771614, is this analysis completely incorrect or slightly deflecting/inaccurate ?
Your analysis is not quite correct.
Restorers say that if allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish, the colors will once again shine through.
Here, there is no structural ambiguity.
As noted in my post above, the implied subject in the verbless if-clause MUST be the subject of the modified main clause (the colors).
Thus, the conveyed meaning is as follows:
If THE COLORS are allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish, THE COLORS will once again shine through.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:13 pm
option B: Restorers say that if it is allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

hi experts,
can you please share your analysis on B ?

why the pronoun "it" in choice B can't be considered a placeholder "it" ? why can't we consider the referent of placeholder "it" the following infinitive phrase "to remove" ?

by ngk4mba3236 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:49 am
hi experts,
any feedback on my above post ?

thank you!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:57 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:option B: Restorers say that if it is allowed to remove and replace the discolored layer of varnish on the Mona Lisa, the colors Leonardo da Vinci painted nearly five hundred years ago will once again shine through.

hi experts,
can you please share your analysis on B ?

why the pronoun "it" in choice B can't be considered a placeholder "it" ? why can't we consider the referent of placeholder "it" the following infinitive phrase "to remove" ?
When the subject pronoun it serves as an expletive referring to the following infinitive, the verb attributed to it must be a form of to be (is, are, etc.).
This form of to be may NOT be followed by a participle (VERBed or VERBing).
Incorrect:
It WAS EXPECTED to like Mary.
Correct:
It WAS easy to like Mary.

B: it is allowed to remove
Here, since it is followed by FORM OF TO BE + VERBed, we cannot interpret that it refers to the following infinitive (to remove).

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:13 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:When the subject pronoun it serves as an expletive referring to the following infinitive, the verb attributed to it must be a form of to be (is, are, etc.).
Incorrect:
Correct:

Here, since it is followed by FORM OF TO BE + VERBed, we cannot interpret that it refers to the following infinitive (to remove).
gmatguru,
does this always hold good in GMAT SC ?

I mean, can there be any cases in which the following structure is observed : subject pronoun it + FORM OF TO BE + VERBed or VERBing ?

do we have any such instances ?

by ngk4mba3236 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 am
gmatguru,
any update on my above post ?

thank you!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:58 pm
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:When the subject pronoun it serves as an expletive referring to the following infinitive, the verb attributed to it must be a form of to be (is, are, etc.).
Incorrect:
Correct:

gmatguru,
does this always hold good in GMAT SC ?

I mean, can there be any cases in which the following structure is observed : subject pronoun it + FORM OF TO BE + VERBed or VERBing ?

do we have any such instances ?
The following sentence would probably be deemed acceptable on the GMAT:
It was decided at the meeting that Mary would lead the parade.
The portion in blue is composed of EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBed.
Offhand, I cannot cite an OA with this construction.
It is not possible in this construction to replace the VERBed with a VERBing.
EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBing is not a viable structure.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:01 pm
so from the above discussions, we can say that the followings will mostly/generally hold true in GMAT SC:

1. EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBed is a VIABLE structure when the EXPLETIVE IT refers to the following that-clause.

2. EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBed is NOT VIABLE structure when the EXPLETIVE IT refers to the following infinitive .

3. EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBing is NOT VIABLE structure, whatever the EXPLETIVE IT refers to.

is this understanding correct ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 05, 2017 5:06 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:so from the above discussions, we can say that the followings will mostly/generally hold true in GMAT SC:

1. EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBed is a VIABLE structure when the EXPLETIVE IT refers to the following that-clause.

2. EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBed is NOT VIABLE structure when the EXPLETIVE IT refers to the following infinitive .

3. EXPLETIVE IT + FORM OF TO BE + VERBing is NOT VIABLE structure, whatever the EXPLETIVE IT refers to.

is this understanding correct ?
Looks good.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3