700 on first run, need advice for the second !

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740
Hi !

I got a 700 on my first attempt at the GMAT a couple of weeks back and after taking some time off I've booked another date on the 27th of May ! I have a few reasons for trying to improve my score:

1) Median scores at my target colleges are pretty high and I'm not sure how my Indian GPA scales on a 4 point, I would have to say approximately 3.4ish.

2) Though I have a pretty big role in my company ( I handle strategic marketing and sales for a product group in the state) I'll only have 2 years of actual post-graduation work-experience when I apply next year. From my conversations with some friends who have Top 5 MBA, a higher score would definitely help improve my chances.

3) I was constantly averaging around 750-770 in prep (Q47-50 and V38-44)and feel I can do better.

Anyways my score break-up is:

700 - Q49 V36; AWA - 6.0/6.0; IR 7/8

The funny thing is I had a feeling something was gonna go wrong in the break between the Quant and the Verbal; I felt that I had become a little too happy with how I did in the Quant section (Hard to explain :P )

I ended up with very little time for the last 5 verbal questions and I can fairly assume I got at least a couple (probably 3) wrong in a string.

I've exhausted the Economist GMAT tutor program with its 6 tests though I can still practice questions there. I've also attempted 4 of the GMAT Prep tests (paid for 2)

I DID NOT use the Powerscore Bible or any other material for verbal the first time. I have got the Manhattan SC and CR books along with the Powerscore Bible for CR.

I still have 4 MGMAT tests that I can use. 5 with Kaplan and 6 with Veritas.

Trying to figure out a schedule that can help me improve.

Would appreciate any advice and guidance ! :)

:) :) :) :)

If you find my Post helpful, then don't forget to click Thank/follow!! Much appreciated :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 am
HI gmatsid,

A 700/Q49 is a fantastic performance, so you probably don't need to retest. You bring up some valid points about your application, but unless your friends are Admissions Experts, their recommendations are likely uninformed opinions. For a professional evaluation, you should post in the Admissions Forum (on this site); you might also choose to work with an Admissions Expert on your application(s).

If you do end up retesting, then you might put a bit more emphasis on your Verbal "pattern matching." You Verbal Scaled Scores during practice (and on your Official GMAT) are strong, so your knowledge of the content seems good. Your "missing piece" might be recognizing the recurring patterns that occur in questions (and in the wrong answers). You might also have had a fatigue problem on Test Day, so that's worth putting some thought and energy into correcting.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by gmatsid » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 pm
HI Rick,

Thanks for the reply ! I am targeting Stanford GSB, Harvard, Stern, Columbia, LSB and Wharton at the top of my list. In fact I have been accepted into Stanford GSB's SIGM program this year based on some substantial international leadership achievements and internship work in college. Funnily enough, the application process and the essay questions for this program are EXACTLY the same as those for the full-time program. I am sure that the competition for a full-time seat is tougher but hey ! I must have done something right to get this !

The biggest reason for my re-testing is because of feedback from an admissions consultant based in Delhi. (She's just helped my younger brother on his SAT applications; quite successfully) She raised some concerns about the fact that I work in a Sales and Marketing field which will somehow be looked down upon in my application. Combined with the fact that I am not top 5% percentile academic-wise in undergrad (top 1% in co and extra-curricular achievements in a graduating class of 1700 students though) she says that I need to target a 750+ ( I know its not a walk in the park now that I've really tested once :/)

Anyways about the last test:

I took a few days off from work before test day and followed the schedule suggested to me by my economist tutor sessions (No study one day before, light practice etc etc). Like I said, I had a niggle in the middle when I felt I had a gotten a little too jovial after the Quant section.

I am an avid reader and have been writing for a long time. I've normally have never had to re-read passages. (Coming from an engineering background, so technical pieces are no biggie) But now that I think of it I did have to go back to the text more than I normally would during the exam on multiple occasions ! I am still not sure what was the cause for my panic on the last 5 questions, I saw 6:30 on the clock and got really fussed about it though I've averaged around 47 seconds on SC and 71 seconds on CR in prep. ( I have kept a track of my timings on OG questions using excel and tried to analyze my answering trends, I know it's crazy :P )

You bring up a good point about patterns in verbal, because I had prepared using the Economist online course (mostly) I had gotten used to a certain general pattern of questioning (they keep on reinforcing weak spots so you end up seeing a little less variety overall even after surmounting these obstacles)

Everything being said, I have not been able to pin-point a particular aspect that I can term as "weak" which is a big concern. In your opinion, is there any harm in re-testing ? and can this score help me in colleges with median scores as high as 732 ?

I will take your advice and post in the application section with my queries too.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read through the long narrative !! :)

-Siddharth

If you find my Post helpful, then don't forget to click Thank/follow!! Much appreciated :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 am
Hi gmatsid,

In these type of high-competition scenarios, I would tend to side with whatever the Admissions Experts advise. You mentioned that you were already accepted to a Stanford program; is that your first choice or are you more interested in another program?

With your scores, you don't have a "weak area", so improving your score is more a matter of the "little things." That can be tougher to define. When you've reviewed your practice CATs, it's important to define WHY you got questions wrong. How often was it due to a silly/minor mistake and how often was it due to the question difficulty? My advice is to focus on fixing the "silly" mistakes; those issues would have occurred on at least a few questions, even with your score. There could also be an "endurance" issue - you might have been too tired to perform at a high level at the end of the Test. This issue is more about overall energy levels and staying focused (meaning how you approach the GMAT physically and psychologically).

Rich

by gmatsid » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:40 am
Hi Rich,

I have been accepted to the Summer Institute of General Management at the Stanford GSB. It's a month long program for recent graduates with notable leadership achievements and looking to pursue a full-time MBA afterwards. The courses will be taught by actual GSB faculty and the experience will likely be very helpful in firming up my goals for the future and consolidating my MBA roadmap, the classroom program is accompanied by a project on MBA lines at a real company where one has to create a solution for an actual issue/proposal/business plan. Also, I expect it won't harm to have Stanford on my resume if I decide to switch to a different role elsewhere. :)

Going by your advice I have also posted my query in the Admissions forum. I'll appreciate it if you had a look ! HERE

by gmatsid » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:11 pm
Had my second attempt on the GMAT on 27/5.

Q=50, V=40, Total = 740, IR=8, AWA=6 :)

This might sound stupid but... Am I done ? :)
[email protected] wrote:Hi gmatsid,

In these type of high-competition scenarios, I would tend to side with whatever the Admissions Experts advise. You mentioned that you were already accepted to a Stanford program; is that your first choice or are you more interested in another program?

With your scores, you don't have a "weak area", so improving your score is more a matter of the "little things." That can be tougher to define. When you've reviewed your practice CATs, it's important to define WHY you got questions wrong. How often was it due to a silly/minor mistake and how often was it due to the question difficulty? My advice is to focus on fixing the "silly" mistakes; those issues would have occurred on at least a few questions, even with your score. There could also be an "endurance" issue - you might have been too tired to perform at a high level at the end of the Test. This issue is more about overall energy levels and staying focused (meaning how you approach the GMAT physically and psychologically).

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:30 pm
Hi gmatsid,

With your prior scores, I thought you were in great shape. Now, you're in even better shape. Congrats! As I mentioned earlier, with the schools that you listed, competition is going to be intense, so you have to make sure that every aspect of your application is as strong as possible. Make sure that you put in the necessary work on your Essays and Interview Prep. You'll certainly be providing them all a GMAT score that will make them happy.

Rich