700 GMAT, Profile evaluation needed!!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

700 GMAT, Profile evaluation needed!!

by kumankit » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 am
Hello everyone,

I'm an Indian male , 24 years of age, targeting Top-15 US schools. I would appreciate if someone could provide few insights on my profile.

1. GMAT 700 (Q 47, V 39 , IR 8) . Official scores yet to be received. I screwed up the quant section, after a good performance in IR. I firmly believe I have a 740+ in me. Planning for a retake, however I would like some feed-backs on the score as well.

2. Work Ex-
- 1 yr 9 months with SAP Labs Bangalore as a Quality Engineer. Responsible for end to end quality status of two major SAP applications.
- Constantly ranked in top performers of the team.
- Received recognition and awards in annual rewards and recognition ceremony inside team for 2 years straight (2013 and 2014).
- Went to SAP headquarters in Walldorf, Germany for 2 weeks for a mobile automation tool workshop. Youngest member in the group with only 1 year of work ex and one of the only 3 members from India (others had 8+ yrs, Group size was 12 including people from multiple SAP offices worldwide) . The workshop was held with company CTO's of two major companies and was aimed at deciding a common automation tool to be used across SAP worldwide.
- I'm also a corporate trainer and have delivered multiple training sessions for major SAP technologies inside SAP.
- Represented SAP Labs in several (6+) customer and internal events in demo-pod sessions and classroom sessions. (SAP Tech-ed, DKOM, etc).

3. Educational Background -
- B.E in Information Technology , from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (ranked in Top 15 engineering colleges in India including IITs)
- 74% in college (First class with distinction, Top 15% of the class), we didn't have very high scores awarded in college.
- 88.4 % in 12th boards, CBSE
- 89.4 % in 10th boards, CBSE

4. Extra-curriculars :
Work place :
- Represented SAP in several company corporate events (see work ex for details)
- Corporate trainer.
- Active member of 'Fun at work' group organizing team events, such as Quiz competitions, cricket tournaments etc.
- Involved with company CSR activities where we visit orphanages, hospitals, etc and help them in several ways for a day.
College :
- Served as, one of the 14, Student Placement Coordinators for Training and Placement Cell, BIT Mesra for 2011-12. We took care of campus placement of close to 2000 students and had interaction with close to 100 companies during 1 year.
- Served as the Institute Technical Head of the Literary Society (2011-'12), B.I.T. Mesra. Was involved in conducting several institute wide events (literary symposiums) as a part of the club.
School :
- National finalist for 'National Level Young Talent Search In Computer Programming' Contest 2007, conducted by Computer Society Of India.
- Secured 2nd position in Science Olympiad at QUANTA International 2007, organised at CMS Lucknow, with participants from around the globe.
- Served as School House Captain (2007)
- Have Numerous other awards for winning quiz competitions, singing competitions and debates.

5. Certifications :
- Basic certification is Spanish Language.
- Foundation Level Certification by ISTQB.

6. Languages :
- English (Fluent) , Hindi (Native) , Spanish (Basic)

7. Post-MBA goal
In a nutshell, I'm focusing on B-schools with good exposure towards technology sector . I believe I have good mix of technical skills,which with the right set of management skills can take me places. Smile Post MBA I would like to work in a techno-managerial role.

Queries :
- Since, I belong to the vastly represented Indian, IT , male pool. What all things could be done from my end to improve my profile? I'm planning to apply after 1.5-2 years, so I have plenty of time in hand.
- I belong to a middle class family and would appreciate any scholarship assistance from the schools that I'll apply too. What all financial aids can I look forward to considering my current profile.
- Which all other good schools have good exposure towards technology?

Kindly guide me on how to proceed ,so as to secure admission in these programs.
Currently my target schools are Stanford, Wharton , Sloan , INSEAD, HAAS, ISB[/b]
My apologies for the long post, I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Thank you! :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 am
kumankit wrote:Hello everyone,

<<snip>>

Queries :
- Since, I belong to the vastly represented Indian, IT , male pool. What all things could be done from my end to improve my profile? I'm planning to apply after 1.5-2 years, so I have plenty of time in hand.
- I belong to a middle class family and would appreciate any scholarship assistance from the schools that I'll apply too. What all financial aids can I look forward to considering my current profile.

Currently my target schools are Stanford, Wharton , Sloan , INSEAD, HAAS, ISB[/b]
My apologies for the long post, I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Thank you! :)

Dear Kumankit,

Jumping straight to the questions you've posed:
  1. Your achievements do sound ahead of your years of experience. So keep up the good work. What'll be critical though is to have a better understanding of what you want to do post-MBA. 'Techo-managerial' is a VERY vague term and can mean a lot of different things. Try to zero in on what career you want to carve for yourself, whether an MBA is needed for it, and if yes, then how will it help. Then, if you find gaps in your profile compared to what you want to do after MBA, try working on those areas - the MBA can help, but wont perhaps be the answer to all gaps.
  2. You may find the posts here, here and here useful to gain perspective on this topic. Most schools have some sort of scholarship/financial aid. The answer is a broad one since the decision depends on a variety of factors which vary from school to school.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, I wont go into school specific suggestions. But I would strong recommend to create a more comprehensive application strategy by throwing in a few practical/safe schools too in your list.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:53 pm
Hi Ankit,

You have impressive profile with solid achievements at work place. Keep up the momentum and build your profile by overall involvement and taking initiatives which demonstrate your leadership abilities. Prepare well and retake GMAT targeting 740+. Your target schools are highly ambitious except ISB. For Technology oriented schools you can also target b-schools like Tepper, Ross, NYU Stern and McCombs. You have enough time and long way to go, may be you can start applying after 1 more year instead of waiting for 2 years!!

Regards,
Manish
www.general-ed.com
Try https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool
kumankit wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm an Indian male , 24 years of age, targeting Top-15 US schools. I would appreciate if someone could provide few insights on my profile.

1. GMAT 700 (Q 47, V 39 , IR 8) . Official scores yet to be received. I screwed up the quant section, after a good performance in IR. I firmly believe I have a 740+ in me. Planning for a retake, however I would like some feed-backs on the score as well.

2. Work Ex-
- 1 yr 9 months with SAP Labs Bangalore as a Quality Engineer. Responsible for end to end quality status of two major SAP applications.
- Constantly ranked in top performers of the team.
- Received recognition and awards in annual rewards and recognition ceremony inside team for 2 years straight (2013 and 2014).
- Went to SAP headquarters in Walldorf, Germany for 2 weeks for a mobile automation tool workshop. Youngest member in the group with only 1 year of work ex and one of the only 3 members from India (others had 8+ yrs, Group size was 12 including people from multiple SAP offices worldwide) . The workshop was held with company CTO's of two major companies and was aimed at deciding a common automation tool to be used across SAP worldwide.
- I'm also a corporate trainer and have delivered multiple training sessions for major SAP technologies inside SAP.
- Represented SAP Labs in several (6+) customer and internal events in demo-pod sessions and classroom sessions. (SAP Tech-ed, DKOM, etc).

3. Educational Background -
- B.E in Information Technology , from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (ranked in Top 15 engineering colleges in India including IITs)
- 74% in college (First class with distinction, Top 15% of the class), we didn't have very high scores awarded in college.
- 88.4 % in 12th boards, CBSE
- 89.4 % in 10th boards, CBSE

4. Extra-curriculars :
Work place :
- Represented SAP in several company corporate events (see work ex for details)
- Corporate trainer.
- Active member of 'Fun at work' group organizing team events, such as Quiz competitions, cricket tournaments etc.
- Involved with company CSR activities where we visit orphanages, hospitals, etc and help them in several ways for a day.
College :
- Served as, one of the 14, Student Placement Coordinators for Training and Placement Cell, BIT Mesra for 2011-12. We took care of campus placement of close to 2000 students and had interaction with close to 100 companies during 1 year.
- Served as the Institute Technical Head of the Literary Society (2011-'12), B.I.T. Mesra. Was involved in conducting several institute wide events (literary symposiums) as a part of the club.
School :
- National finalist for 'National Level Young Talent Search In Computer Programming' Contest 2007, conducted by Computer Society Of India.
- Secured 2nd position in Science Olympiad at QUANTA International 2007, organised at CMS Lucknow, with participants from around the globe.
- Served as School House Captain (2007)
- Have Numerous other awards for winning quiz competitions, singing competitions and debates.

5. Certifications :
- Basic certification is Spanish Language.
- Foundation Level Certification by ISTQB.

6. Languages :
- English (Fluent) , Hindi (Native) , Spanish (Basic)

7. Post-MBA goal
In a nutshell, I'm focusing on B-schools with good exposure towards technology sector . I believe I have good mix of technical skills,which with the right set of management skills can take me places. Smile Post MBA I would like to work in a techno-managerial role.

Queries :