700-800 Level Scoring

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

700-800 Level Scoring

by njschneider » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:45 pm
Hello. I've been studying for the GMAT since December 2014 and I'm taking it on May 9, 2015. I'm stressed AF.

I'm still in the low 600s but I need to be 690+. My question is this- how many "hard" (700-800) level questions should a person be getting right in a row to get the score I want?

When I work through the OG and I do the "hard" questions based on what MGMAT says, I'm getting roughly 30-40% correct. It stresses me out because I think that I am not improving... but in reality the top scorers aren't getting 100% of the "hard" questions correct, right? I know 30-40% accuracy is not good enough for a 700+ but what is? 60%? 70%? 90%?

Does anyone know?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:08 pm
Hi njschneider,

Most people don't know how complex the GMAT scoring algorithm actually is, so trying to decipher it is not worth your time.

Based on what you're describing, you're focusing on the wrong things right now. Before I can help you to focus on the "right" things, I need a bit more information about your studies:

1) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) Have you taken the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Do you finish any of the sections early? Do you have to rush to finish any of the sections (and guess on a bunch of questions)? If so, then how many questions do you have to rush through?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]