690 Q44 V40 perplexed about my Q score

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

690 Q44 V40 perplexed about my Q score

by davidnodine » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:15 pm
I took the GMAT Sat morning

Test Center:

Great enviroment no complaints.

AWA:

Standard Questions no problem

Q:

Started off standard by q 17 the level of difficulty was much higher than I had experienced on any of my practice tests. 17-27 was a range of strange combo problems, statistics etc, I knew how to do them but not the tricks to do them quickly. By q 27 I was exhausted and only had ten minutes left. The rest of the test was me trying to make educated guesses and moving quickly to finish the test.

V:

Fairly standard, The reading comp and CR passages were fairly straight forward. SC questions were the most difficult for me as they had been in my practice. However, I was overall happy with my verbal score. 90% is fine with me.

The thing that I am most frustrated with is that on both of the GMAT practice tests I scored 48-49. I also scored very well on the Kaplan Tests. Going into the test I was very confident of my ability to move thru the Q part quickly. I felt that I had mastered the concepts. The 44 is only in the 73 percentile and is very frustrating because I want to show a mastery of quantitative concepts in my application. I'm not really disappointed in the overall score of 690, 90%. That plus 8 years of strong work experience (working with quantitative concepts) should get me into where I want to go. However, I'm considering taking the GMAT again to get my Q scores up (even if just a little bit). I have already put so much time into my prep work. I'm feeling a little dissatified walking away with a 44 when I feel that I could score better. Any advice, or suggestions for further study would be appreciated.

My advice to those who have not taken the test is to be very aware of time. I think that I let myself get bogged up on a few questions and was discouraged at the end of the Q section. Also, study CR and Reading Comprehension even if just a little bit. My weakness was in the SC area. I used the kaplan 800 to study the CR and RC and felt that it was much more difficult than the questions that were on the GMAT. I feel that I did very well in these categories which gave me some room to miss some SC questions and still come out with a decent score

Prep Work

OG 11, QR, VR
Kaplan, Kaplan 800
Manhattan Review Books
Beat the GMAT

Good Luck