680 in GMAT.Should I apply this year? Profile Evaluation plz

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I just gave the GMAT(first attempt) and scored a 680(Quant - 49, Verbal - 33).
I am planning to apply for MBA classes starting in fall 2015.

My profile reads as follows:

GMAT 680
work ex : 19 months (Software Developer)
Graduation : B.Tech(College Topper)
12th : 79.2%
10th : 80.8
Indian Female (Age 24)

I want to do MBA in Finance and some of the colleges which I have shortlisted include INSEAD, NYU Stern, UCB(Hass,University of California),Michigan Ross,Said Oxford,UCLA Anderson.

Can you please suggest whether I should apply this year in second round for these colleges.(Example: second round deadlines for INSEAD and NYU Stern is in mid November) and would be great if you could suggest some more good colleges for MBA in Finance.

Thanks in Advance!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:47 pm
Hello Shrishti

Being a college topper certainly helps while applying to any Master's program. The applicant pool of Indian students with an IT background is very high so you will have to make sure that your application stands out and a 680 may not be enough for INSEAD, NYU - Stern, UCB Haas and Michigan - Ross. Schools in top 15 -25 should be within your reach.

Tell me more about your work experience. Since you are applying with only two years of work experience, you should have strong leadership skills to make the cut. Otherwise you may fall sort of experience. In business schools students not only learn from case studies, lectures, etc but also from each other. And a student can only make valuable contributions to his class from their past experience.

Tell me more about your profile - your projects, performance ratings, promotions, accomplishments, extracurricular activities, events you organized, volunteer work, etc. and I will be able to comment better.

You should also take a look at schools such as Carnegie Mellon - Tepper and Cornell - Johnson.

You can take a look at this article to get an idea about the kind of work experience that business schools look for in prospective students https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/typica ... applicants

All the best
www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:47 am
Hi Srishti,

Since you have strong academics and decent GMAT score, I would strongly encourage you to apply in Round 2. You can consider top finance schools like Columbia, Rice University, Rochester Simon, LBS, Rotman. Let me know if you have any questions, you can also try Chances of B-School by visiting here https://goo.gl/XV8WeG

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
Srishtivj wrote:Hi,

GMAT 680
Indian Female (Age 24)

I want to do MBA in Finance and some of the colleges which I have shortlisted include INSEAD, NYU Stern, UCB(Hass,University of California),Michigan Ross,Said Oxford,UCLA Anderson.

Can you please suggest whether I should apply this year in second round for these colleges.(Example: second round deadlines for INSEAD and NYU Stern is in mid November) and would be great if you could suggest some more good colleges for MBA in Finance.

Thanks in Advance!!

Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:22 am
Srishtivj wrote:Hi,

GMAT 680
Indian Female (Age 24)

Thanks in Advance!!
Hi Srishti,

My very first question to you would be Why Finance? It is very important to justify why you applying for a particular specialization and how will it help you reach your goals in short term. If you can bridge in the gap between what you are currently doing and what you plan to do you will be able to submit a convincing application.

Coming to universities well know for Finance with the given profile you can apply to schools like University of Rochester, University of Norte Dame , Ohio State etc. The names you have mentioned will be too competitive for you at this moment. So even if you apply the next year you need to work towards enhancing your profile.

Would like to know why finance and if you have any experience in financial services. Your current profile (experience and exposure) and GMAT score (to go with the fact you're a university topper) is not very competitive with the schools you've shortlisted. It would be great if we can speak to you and we are hopeful we would be able to advice you based on your interest area and how you you wish to move ahead in your career.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Dina@Fortuna » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:46 am
Hello Srishtivj,
I would like to know more about your background, experiences, accomplishments to advise you but based on what you've shared, holding off to apply after another year of work experience might really help your candidacy at programs like Stern, Ross, and INSEAD. Having attended Stern and worked there in Admissions, I can say that students who are accepted with less than three years of work experience have really strong applications and are typically individuals who have progressed rapidly at their jobs in the short time they have been working. Particularly since you have a GMAT score of 680, which is below the average score of 721 for the class that just started, Stern will be looking hard to find areas in which you really stand out over your peers in other areas of your application. I'd be happy to speak in more depth about this so feel free to reach out and my colleague can also provide some insight around your candidacy to INSEAD.
Kind regards,
Dina
Dina Glasofer | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website