680 GMAT, 3.4 GPA. Retake GMAT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

680 GMAT, 3.4 GPA. Retake GMAT

by slevitt » Fri May 22, 2015 8:45 am
Hi Stacy and team,

I'm curious to get your general take. I earned a 680 on the GMAT (which was in range with my practice test scores), and I have a 3.4 GPA. I'm shooting for the top 5 for management.

I also have some community involvement with after school programs.

Do you think I should retake the GMAT? I'd also like to try to shoot for some scholarships.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Sun May 24, 2015 4:22 am
In a word: yes. For applications to top business schools, it's always advisable to be the strongest applicant you can be in every area. If your GMAT is below the school's median, that places you at a competitive disadvantage relative to other applicants.
I sense from your email, however, that you don't feel you can necessarily get a higher score. There are many other factors to consider: age, geography, industry, undergraduate institution, professional history, not to mention the Q/V breakdown... you may have other strengths that will help bolster your competitiveness. An effective MBA application consultant can help you develop a big-picture strategy that makes the most of these strengths while neutralizing any weak areas as much as possible.

That said, if you can retake the GMAT, do so -- even if you don't get an improved score, the schools will see your commitment, and that counts too. Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by slevitt » Thu May 28, 2015 10:35 am
Thank you for your advice Margaret.

I've decided to retake the GMAT, since from what you say, and everything else I've been reading, just a few more points could turn the tide in the applications.

I'm going to follow a study plan designed for retakers, so hopefully I can break 700.

Thank you again!