650 - Where is the window?

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

650 - Where is the window?

by big4bore » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 am
I took the GMAT this past weekend after completing the 60 day program and scored a 650. 40 Verbal & 41 Quant. Needless to say I'm not happy. I spent 95% of my time studying the quant section and completed all the problems in the guide.

I felt like I spent too much time on really complicated problems and understanding every aspect of them and then on the test I wasn't able to make it past the simple problem types.

I spent very little time studying verbal - do you think trying to get higher into the 90s on verbal is a good use of time - it seems like if my verbal stayed static and I was able to make small improvements in my quant I could really make improvements.

Do y'all have any recommendations for a re-take strategy (incorporating the 60 day guide - I know there are plenty of others on this website). My weaknesses were number properties & word problems. I feel like I gained a lot of valuable knowledge when I spent time reading and taking notes from the MGMAT guide, but read everywhere I should just do problems and read when I have an issue with a question.

I also felt like I studied a bit too much / spent too much time doing problems. I had a tutor some time back who told me to do problems 3 days in a row and mark the ones I continued to get wrong and come back a week later. I think the strategy makes sense, but I'm wondering if at the end of the day I just memorized a bunch of problems and didn't fully understand them.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:53 am
Hi big4bore,

Sorry to hear you're not happy with your 650 score. What's your target score?
I spent very little time studying verbal - do you think trying to get higher into the 90s on verbal is a good use of time - it seems like if my verbal stayed static and I was able to make small improvements in my quant I could really make improvements.
Boosting your Verbal score from 40 to 45 (giving you 41Q/45V) would get you in the 700-710 range.
I also felt like I studied a bit too much / spent too much time doing problems.
That's possible. Remember, the GMAT is a test of your Math/Verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills.
How many full-length practice tests did you take?
What were those results?

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by big4bore » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:52 am
My goal is to score 720+. I was scoring around 630 on my MGMAT practice tests,so not a total surprise I suppose. I just felt like I knew most of the material in the books and from the 60- day study guide, just ran into trouble when I couldn't make it past the easier questions on the test.

I'm just wondering if such a lopsided score will be a red-flag. For example, on UT's website they say something to the effect of 'generally those who succeed here will have a 650+ with a reasonable balance b/w Q and V' not so sure mine is that reasonable. It's not that my quant is weak - I work in finance and have a great job / analytical abilities, it's just getting questions about absolute values and the all this arcane stuff that is never used throws me off.

I supposed I"m just going to hit the books again and focus more on my weak areas / study right up to the exam.