640 (50Q, 28V) to 720 (51Q, 36V) - Self-belief is the key

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

by avijitchak » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm
yashikk9 wrote:@avijitchak - First of all congratulations for your much deserved success. You surely had an exhaustive study plan to include all these materials.

I am sailing in the same boat with pretty good quant but horrible verbal score. I am also preparing for my not second but 3rd :( attempt to hit the 7xx mark.

It will be really helpful if you could share your study plan. How long did you spend covering all these materials? and what sequence you followed while covering these materials.Did u re-take same tests?

For a while I have been thinking of taking up some verbal coaching but not sure how much will it help. As my second test was screwed up all thanks to my low confidence by the time i had reached verbal section.

Confidence is something no one else can help you with. So very skeptical about coaching also.

Thanks!

Hi,

To be very honest, I dont think its worth it to take those expensive preparatory courses. Self study should be sufficient if followed diligently.
As far as my study plan goes, I started with OG, practiced from GMATClub tests and gave full length tests on a weekly basis. I took total 10 Manhattan GMAT tests (6 + 4 repeats), 2 GMATPrep Tests and 4 Princeton Review tests. There is no substitute to practice through full length tests.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 am
avijitchak wrote:
yashikk9 wrote:@avijitchak - First of all congratulations for your much deserved success. You surely had an exhaustive study plan to include all these materials.

I am sailing in the same boat with pretty good quant but horrible verbal score. I am also preparing for my not second but 3rd :( attempt to hit the 7xx mark.

It will be really helpful if you could share your study plan. How long did you spend covering all these materials? and what sequence you followed while covering these materials.Did u re-take same tests?

For a while I have been thinking of taking up some verbal coaching but not sure how much will it help. As my second test was screwed up all thanks to my low confidence by the time i had reached verbal section.

Confidence is something no one else can help you with. So very skeptical about coaching also.

Thanks!

Hi,

To be very honest, I dont think its worth it to take those expensive preparatory courses. Self study should be sufficient if followed diligently.
As far as my study plan goes, I started with OG, practiced from GMATClub tests and gave full length tests on a weekly basis. I took total 10 Manhattan GMAT tests (6 + 4 repeats), 2 GMATPrep Tests and 4 Princeton Review tests. There is no substitute to practice through full length tests.
Thanks avijitchak!

Can you tell me how did u really improve in between the two tests? I am sure your study plan was more than 4 months based on the number of tests you wrote. All the reading material must have been done in the beginning. so a part improvement what did u do? went back to manhattan sc/rc notes or practiced problems of the types you were getting wrong...I mean did u go back to theory or was it jst practice practice practice?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

by avijitchak » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:45 pm
[email protected] wrote:
avijitchak wrote:

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks avijitchak!

Can you tell me how did u really improve in between the two tests? I am sure your study plan was more than 4 months based on the number of tests you wrote. All the reading material must have been done in the beginning. so a part improvement what did u do? went back to manhattan sc/rc notes or practiced problems of the types you were getting wrong...I mean did u go back to theory or was it jst practice practice practice?
Hi!
Yes mainly its about just practice and practice. I focused only on SC which is probably the best scoring area and can be improved upon dramatically. I practiced SC the most. I practiced from GMATClub tests and 1000 SC. And yes the ones which you went wrong you need to get back and try doing them once again. Last 2-3 days before the tests I went through those exercise books and tried to memorize as many idioms as possible.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by minniemba » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:46 am
@avijitchak - Thanks so much for that detailing and many congratulations for that well deserved score!!

One question to ask you. It may sound very silly though yet it's important for me to know. If I complete two OGs (2015+2016) along with the distinct questions. What is the probability of getting common questions(that I am familiar with previous OG questions)in GMAT?
Again same question regarding those CATs , MGMAT GMAT 1,2,3.../ Veritas Prep tests/ GMATprep test etc. after finishing such tests what is the probability of getting similar patterned qs which will look familiar to me?

Regards
minniemba