610 First Try...retake?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

610 First Try...retake?

by Slappy Sanchez » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:22 am
Hey all,

I just took the GMAT (for the first time), and scored a 610. I should be excited about my score but I am not. I didn't get the testing accommodations in time, so I took the test just so I would have something to show admissions. I left a lot of points on the table as I answered 5 quant questions in 2 min, and 6 verbal question in just under 4. I didn't even answer one of the analytical questions as I ran short on time.

I have a 2.55 gpa in Accounting (from 1/3 BYU, 2/3 University of New Orleans), and 3 strong years of work experience in financial consulting/ forensic accounting. I have applied to BYU, Tulane, UT-Austin, USC, and Michigan. I know that 3/5 of those schools are pipe dreams, but it doesn't hurt to hope that they get one Slappy Sanchez confused for another, and admit me by mistake, or that maybe my extra curricular are enough to get me in in spite of the grades.

If I retake the test, it will be with just enough time for most of these schools final rounds. Do I take the test again and work my tail off for a higher grade, or is well enough left alone?

Congrats to all who had the courage to post their grades.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:11 am
Hi Slappy Sanchez,

I believe that your score isn't bad but such scores usually have potential to be improved therefore If you want to make your chances stronger I would like to give my go ahead for the retake.

However to know more about the area of improvement and extend my further suggestion, I would like to know the breakup of your score. So please let me know the break up of your score in Quant and Verbal.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 am
I always try to answer these questions while thinking about the ROI (within the realm of applying to B school). Are you still doing any applications at this point? If you are still working on applications, I would recommend focusing more on those in order to craft the most convincing essays and story that will help get you in. However you say that you have applied already so if you aren't then take the test again and try to improve, it can't hurt and would be worth it if you could add 20-40 points to the score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:40 am
Hey there!

I'm sorry you had a bad go at the GMAT. Unfortunately, with your GPA from your particular university, you will most likely need a much stronger GMAT score to be considered. If you believe you can be serious about carving out enough time each day over the next few weeks to improve your score, I'd go for it and find a couple more schools to apply to in R3 of this cycle - be sure to target schools in your range, though. Also, seriously consider R1 of next year - I know it seems like so far away with the start date but you could have a much better run as well!

If want to chat about which path might be right or need a hand navigating R3, give us a shout!

Best of luck!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Slappy Sanchez » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:25 pm
Hey all

Verbal was 44
Quant was 30

I am waiting on my accommodations for testing, but was forced to take the test in order to get at least one test sent into the programs I am applying to. Most of these schools have deadlines of March 1, 2, 24, and April 12.

I am currently waiting on letters of recommends to get to these schools.

As I stated, I started the process late so I missed the first two deadlines. Also, my gap was a 2.55 in college so I am really counting on knocking this gmat out of the park to overcome those poor scores. I really don't want to push off B-School another year as I am already 33, but I also only have 4 years of work experience, so I am not sure if I can get into any EMBA programs.

Any suggestions on how to more effectively pursue my goal of getting an MBA from a notable school would be greatly appreciated.