500/600 with 1 month practice only?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

500/600 with 1 month practice only?

by Zauseli » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:03 am
Hey...

I wanna apply for a B-School in South America and spontaneously decided to take the GMAT instead of the local test (i would have to fly 8900 km for a 4 hour test).
Here's the thing, the test is on April 24th. I need at least 500, which would be totally fine and isn't super high, I guess, but of course you're kinda aiming for more.

I already went through the foundations of Gmat book 3 weeks ago (when i started thinking about taking the GMAT instead) and got most of the concepts . I also took a prep test and scored super low (390) gotta admit tho that this was rather due to a lack of concentration or willingness to concentrate than a lack of understanding the concepts. When I reviewed the test, there were a lot questions i Immediately knew i had answered wrong and figured out the right answer quickly.

My quant and verbal scores were quite balanced.( I am not a native speaker though, I will have to look up some rules again)

Do u think its doable? It is the last application round! Luckily, I quit my job anyway so i have plenty of time (except for writing essays, CVS and other kinds of motivation letters).

Thanks for your help

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:47 pm
Hi Zauseli,

You've already assessed that you weren't "at your best" when taking the first practice CAT, so it might be worthwhile to take another CAT after a little more review. Plan to take it a bit more seriously, concentrate more, etc. and let's see how you score.

Your goal is modest and seems doable in the timeframe that you've set for yourself. You should report back with your next CAT score (and score breakdown). With that information, I (and I'm sure several others here) should be able to offer some advice.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]