3 yrs,4 attempts-Finally 740:The story of my metamorphosis

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by surya02 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:32 am
Till now, I had just heard about great people and their struggle to success and today I have read one of those struggle right from mouth of the "struggler" who eventually became a winner. Mindblowing post. I'm about to begin my preparation and need to know for how much time should I prepare for the GMAT.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:27 am
surya02 wrote:Till now, I had just heard about great people and their struggle to success and today I have read one of those struggle right from mouth of the "struggler" who eventually became a winner. Mindblowing post. I'm about to begin my preparation and need to know for how much time should I prepare for the GMAT.
Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for the compliment .There's no dearth of people who make it big after struggling hard. The time required to prepare for the GMAT depends on the level at which you are currently at. If you are really weak at English, then you should do something of "pre-GMAT" prep like reading good books etc. If you are comfortable enough with English and have fairly good reasoning skills, then 3-4 months of prep should be enough.So figure out where you are now and then you can start your prep accordingly.

Followed by:1 members

by rahulgondane » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 am
Hey eternal_optimist,

Thank you for this post. It has partly lifted the gloom surrounding me.

I just gave GMAT for the first time today and got a pathetic 430 (Q25, V24) :( :(
I feel devastated and get the feeling like I am the biggest loser out there. I can relate with you how embarrassing it is to face parents/friends/relatives after such a failure. I have been an average student but Maths has been my Achilles' heel since childhood. And my verbal isn't very strong either. I got the feeling that I should just forget about the GMAT dreams and run away somewhere.

But I must say that your debrief has really made me feel better. Scoring below 500 can be a huge confidence dampener but after reading about your struggles, I have decided that I won't quit. And I'll be back with a vengeance. As I said, my main weakness is Maths and I need your advice regarding how to go about improving my fundamentals and building my competency. I'm also going to take up reading to improve my verbal competency.

Once again, Many Thanks for such an inspirational debrief. It has really given me a much needed boost.
Cheers,
Rahul

by eternal_optimist » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:31 am
rahulgondane wrote:Hey eternal_optimist,

Thank you for this post. It has partly lifted the gloom surrounding me.

I just gave GMAT for the first time today and got a pathetic 430 (Q25, V24) :( :(
I feel devastated and get the feeling like I am the biggest loser out there. I can relate with you how embarrassing it is to face parents/friends/relatives after such a failure. I have been an average student but Maths has been my Achilles' heel since childhood. And my verbal isn't very strong either. I got the feeling that I should just forget about the GMAT dreams and run away somewhere.

But I must say that your debrief has really made me feel better. Scoring below 500 can be a huge confidence dampener but after reading about your struggles, I have decided that I won't quit. And I'll be back with a vengeance. As I said, my main weakness is Maths and I need your advice regarding how to go about improving my fundamentals and building my competency. I'm also going to take up reading to improve my verbal competency.

Once again, Many Thanks for such an inspirational debrief. It has really given me a much needed boost.
Great to hear that you have found a new leash of energy and hope on reading my debrief. For building maths concepts, I have given some tips in the previous posts. You may wanna go through them.

by him1985 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:53 pm
Congrates........
Inspirational story.... :)
Himanshu Chauhan

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rajeevrks27 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 am
I think anyone who comes across this story will get a lot of inspiration from it....worth a case study...rightfully deserves the best story of d year.....haven't come across stuff so inspirational...buddy u will do great guns..all d very best..I salute u.
Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye...till then KEEP PRACTISING...

by eternal_optimist » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 am
rajeevrks27 wrote:I think anyone who comes across this story will get a lot of inspiration from it....worth a case study...rightfully deserves the best story of d year.....haven't come across stuff so inspirational...buddy u will do great guns..all d very best..I salute u.
Thank you very much. I derive great pleasure from the fact that my story has inspired so many people that they actually write here. Great that you are one of them. All the best to you! :)

by avdhootj » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 pm
hi, congratulations on your success!!!!!!

I have been one of those who is badly beaten by GMAT in 1st attempt. i am thinking of reappearing. Hope things happen good this time.

by kunalsinha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:02 am
I am also an average student.I hope my story also ends like yours.

by kunalsinha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:09 am
I am also at the level where you had started so i you can be my best mentor.
I am aplanning to take test after 9-10 months with changed GMAT format.
Please revert to my following queries :

1>I am very weak in verbal, written english, how to go about it ?
2>I am good in quant, but still wish to know how to prepare for it ?
3>Please mention name of books for above mentioned queries.

Thanks
Kunal

by eternal_optimist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:09 am
kunalsinha wrote:I am also at the level where you had started so i you can be my best mentor.
I am aplanning to take test after 9-10 months with changed GMAT format.
Please revert to my following queries :

1>I am very weak in verbal, written english, how to go about it ?
2>I am good in quant, but still wish to know how to prepare for it ?
3>Please mention name of books for above mentioned queries.

Kunal
Hi, you have a lot of time in your hands so make sure that you plan your strategy really wisely. I have answered all the questions in the posts in this thread. I'd suggest that you go through them.

by sweetitis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 am
very inspirational story!

by AliceWonderful » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:22 am
I take the GMAT this Saturday at 8am. Your quote brought tears to my eyes. Please pray for me, friend or send me good thoughts. You have inspired others and will be blessed. Thank you for your words!

by eternal_optimist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:32 am
AliceWonderful wrote:I take the GMAT this Saturday at 8am. Your quote brought tears to my eyes. Please pray for me, friend or send me good thoughts. You have inspired others and will be blessed. Thank you for your words!
Just saw this message.Thanks for the wishes. I guess you would have taken the GMAT two days back. How did you perform ?

by BhushanJogi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 pm
Hi :) I was very impressed by your debrief.. have just started my prep..
Could you please tell me... How to build the competency ? I am weak in both the areas..