3 failed attempts, want 1 last shot!

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

3 failed attempts, want 1 last shot!

by rseshnag » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:26 pm
I was stupid and wrote 3 b2b gmats in 2014 got 530, 550 & 560. I want to give gmat no.4 this year, target 700+. Any advice? And will my previous scores hamper my admission prospects?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:28 am
Hi rseshnag,

Business Schools really don't care if you retake the GMAT, but they will probably want to see some 'progress' on your part. Given that your prior 3 scores are so similar, your next score will really just be compared to a 550, so you have nothing to worry about there.

Given these prior results though, you're clearly going to have to make some big adjustments to how you study for (and ultimately take) the Official GMAT.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by rseshnag » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:02 pm
Hi Rich,
Thank u for the response,
1. My goal is for a score of 720+ (my target univ requires such)
2. I am a working professional and hence want to give myself ample time. Aug 20 is the date I am looking at.
3. I will apply in September.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:57 pm
rseshnag wrote:I was stupid and wrote 3 b2b gmats in 2014 got 530, 550 & 560. I want to give gmat no.4 this year, target 700+. Any advice? And will my previous scores hamper my admission prospects?
Your scores shows a clear lack of fundamentals.

1.In your preparation so far, how did you study? What material did you follow?
2. Have you completed the OG and the Verbal review?
3. What were your sectional scores?

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:59 am
Hi rseshnag,

A planned Test Date in August gives you plenty of time to study and improve. However, since your prior scores are all so similar, you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits').

1) How long did you study before taking your prior Official GMATs?
2) What materials did you use?
3) How much time do you think you can now study during a typical week?

Rich

by rseshnag » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:36 pm
Hi rich

To answer your questions,

I had given myself prep time of 2months for my first gmat , then took the next two within a month's time .

I used the two free tests from mba.com, had enrolled in one online course. That's all.

Right now I'm equipped with the official guide and material from princeton review, and i have planned 15-18 hrs of study a week.

Hi ankur
Thank you for ur inputs, i will definitely take the mocks you suggested, i felt last time i was short of test practice. I am confident about my fundamentals.

by rseshnag » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:37 pm
Hi rich

To answer your questions,

I had given myself prep time of 2months for my first gmat , then took the next two within a month's time .

I used the two free tests from mba.com, had enrolled in one online course. That's all.

Right now I'm equipped with the official guide and material from princeton review, and i have planned 15-18 hrs of study a week.

Hi ankur
Thank you for ur inputs, i will definitely take the mocks you suggested, i felt last time i was short of test practice. I am confident about my fundamentals.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:53 pm
Hi rseshnag,

Since you've already acquired some study materials, I think that you should study as you see fit for the next 2-3 weeks, then take a NEW Full-length CAT (one that you have not taken before, with the Essay and IR sections). That score result will help to show whether your current study plan is leading to improvement or not. Based on your past performances, you'll likely need to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) that will give you the structure and consistent guidance that you'll need to score 720+.

Rich

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Thanks for sharing.

Given that you have enough time, consider engaging a test-prep service to help you with maximize your potential. Boosting your scores will open up more opportunities and help your admissions/scholarship chances.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!