2016 GMAT Takers

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

2016 GMAT Takers

by g3lo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 am
Hi,

I am new to the community and was wondering if someone may point me in the right direction of a good study plan for GMAT 2016 writers.

I am unsure if there were any sufficient changes from past years, although I am aware of the addition of AWA and IR as of June 2012.

If anyone could kindly advise, that would be great.

Cheers

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:54 am
g3lo wrote:Hi,

I am new to the community and was wondering if someone may point me in the right direction of a good study plan for GMAT 2016 writers.

I am unsure if there were any sufficient changes from past years, although I am aware of the addition of AWA and IR as of June 2012.

If anyone could kindly advise, that would be great.

Cheers
The last significant change was the introduction of IR in 2012.

As for study plans, there's a 60-Day plan on this site: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide

Additionally, feel free to check out the Veritas On-Demand app, which contains all of our lessons: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-iphone-apps/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by g3lo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:58 am
Thank you for the speedy reply!

Could you advise if this study plan is sufficient to obtain a score of 700+ on the GMAT?

Additionally, I heard there are several strategies out there when you are writing the GMAT. For instance, the GMAT adjusts in difficulty towards the individual as they answer the questions. I heard that if you take 2 minutes to answer the first set of questions, and than; speed up your process you are likely to get easier questions. Could you confirm if this is myth or fact? If fact, are there other strategies you could share?

Cheers

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:11 pm
g3lo wrote:Thank you for the speedy reply!

Could you advise if this study plan is sufficient to obtain a score of 700+ on the GMAT?

Additionally, I heard there are several strategies out there when you are writing the GMAT. For instance, the GMAT adjusts in difficulty towards the individual as they answer the questions. I heard that if you take 2 minutes to answer the first set of questions, and than; speed up your process you are likely to get easier questions. Could you confirm if this is myth or fact? If fact, are there other strategies you could share?

Cheers
Different test-takers require different study plans. Some students score close to 700 on their first test and wish to hit the 99th percentile. Other students score much lower on their first test and getting to 700 requires considerably more work. Take a practice exam, get a benchmark, and then we can help you plan accordingly. (But pretty much every study plan is crafted with the 700 goal in mind.)

As for strategies, it is true that the test is computer adaptive, meaning that the difficulty level of the questions will fluctuate in response to your performance, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking with regards to timing. To complete the Quant section, you'll need to average roughly two minutes per question. It is true that easier questions will likely require less time to do than more difficult problems, but the better your performance is, the harder the questions will become. In other words, strategizing to receive easier questions is the exact opposite of what you want to do. Again, the only way to know what strategic tweaks you'll require is to take a practice exam and see where you stand.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by g3lo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:28 pm
Thank you for the detailed response. I will start my studies and reach out once I have more insight to my weaknesses.

Cheers,
g3lo

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:45 pm
Hi g3lo,

There are a variety of different ways to study for the GMAT and lots of different study materials that you can use, but YOUR particular needs will be based on a variety of factors (your natural abilities, your goals, the time you have to study, etc.). It's possible that you'll start your studies a certain way but have to make adjustments as you learn more about which areas of the Test require more of your attention (to improve).

From your post, it sounds as if your goal score is 700+, but I'd like to know a bit more about your plans:

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

4) What study materials do you currently have?
5) How many hours do you think you can study during a typical week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]