2010 - Best GMAT practice tests

This topic has expert replies

Which company makes the best GMAT practice tests (excluding GMATPrep)?

Princeton Review
7%
Kaplan
15%
Veritas
6%
Manhattan
62%
Grockit
3%
Knewton
3%
Others (post a message with what it is)
4%

Total votes: 430

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:41 pm
Hi Adam, can we consider the GMAT Prep algorithm identical to that of a real GMAT exam? I know that the GMAT Prep doesn't have experimental questions; it counts all your correct and incorrect answers towards the scaled scores. Is it rational not to credit the answers which are experimental but answered correctly - a test taker invests one's time and efforts into the solution process and should count on, at least, some reward ...? One may spend time answering a bunch of experimental questions correctly and missing not experimental questions, thus having the low scaled scores at the end.

How testing system balances this problem?
AdamKnewton wrote:
sashah2006 wrote:Normally, how the GMAT CAT works is that if you answer a question right, the next question is more difficult, and if you answer a question wrong, the next question is easier. Also, answering easier questions wrong count more against you than answering difficult questions wrong.
Full disclosure: I work for Knewton, and am therefore biased. However, I, too, think the MGMAT CATs are quite excellent.

The only reason I'm posting here is that I have to chime in simply on the point above: I agree that MGMAT CATs work that way, however, the actual GMAT does not. The GMAT will not necessarily give you a harder question after every right answer. It has other factors to consider besides question-difficulty-level, including 1) the content it has to provide you (that is, it must give you a certain number of geometry questions, etc., and may not always have one available at the "correct" level; and 2) the appropriate differentiation it wants to make of your personal ability estimate at each point.

For example, the algorithm functions like this: After the first 10 questions, it thinks your ability level is a 0.8. As a result, it gives you a question that most students who are also 0.8 get wrong. You also get this question wrong; fine. It doesn't decrease your difficulty level now because it's only confirmed its theory and wants to try another, different question that can better distinguish between people who are estimated at 0.8

The difficulty level of questions is also wildly misconstrued. There is no such thing, on the actual GMAT, as a "650-level question," although MGMAT uses this notation for its CATs. The actual formula rates each question based at what ability-level-of-test-taker do 50% of them get it correct.

Basically, all of the GMAT algorithm calculations are about its estimate of your ability level, NOT a back-and-forth game played with difficulty levels. Do not confuse the idea that the test is Adaptive with the idea that you must get a certain number of easy/medium/hard questions right. And do not ask if a question is a "600-level question" -- there is no such thing!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:37 members
GMAT Score:780

by Adam@Knewton » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 pm
Night reader wrote:Hi Adam, can we consider the GMAT Prep algorithm identical to that of a real GMAT exam? I know that the GMAT Prep doesn't have experimental questions; it counts all your correct and incorrect answers towards the scaled scores. Is it rational not to credit the answers which are experimental but answered correctly - a test taker invests one's time and efforts into the solution process and should count on, at least, some reward ...? One may spend time answering a bunch of experimental questions correctly and missing not experimental questions, thus having the low scaled scores at the end.

How testing system balances this problem?
It is apparently true that the GMATPrep tests do not have Experimental Questions. However, the actual GMAT has around 15 total experimental questions -- 6-8 per section. Does this seem unfair? In a way, yes, because you can't know which questions are scored and which aren't, so you must put your full effort into questions that, in the end, don't impact your score; however, it's the only way the test can accurately gauge new questions, and so it's not going to change. It can't really affect our strategy much so there's no point in thinking about it or strategizing based on this fact; all it does mean is that raw scores (# of questions right) on practice tests can be wildly misleading.
Prep Smarter, Score Higher
www.knewton.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sinhaanubhav » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 pm
Hi

If anyone in malaysia want 750+ GMAT material with alsmost 20 super Ebooks including OG 12 ed

An absolute guarantee that the GMAT will not test you on anything outside of the course content covered here.
Each type of question on your test will have been covered in detail.
Even at the highest level (the highest score obtained by many students has been 790 -
and each of them has repeatedly vouched for this fact), not even one question will seem alien to you (if you do all the content as advised).

plaease contact

[email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by PS2011 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:05 am
I had done GMAT Prep Test about 1 week back & got 700. Today when I took MGMAT, I got only 600. The MGMAT CAT 1 was tough with all questions marked in 700-800 bracket. Which is why I could manage even 600, as I had hopelessly run out of time on the quant test. The verbal was also very tough & unlike the GMATPrep.

Kaplan is the same story. I find that too very tough and my range has fluctuated from 570-670.

On other company tests, I have managed 660-710.

Not sure if KAPLAN & MGMAT difficulty level is reflective of actual GMAT.

In fact, now I am thinking of dropping my plan for GMAT as anything below 660 is useless for me.

by alireuter » Sat May 14, 2011 3:16 pm
I've been studying for a couple of months now, and I have taken Princeton Review, Kaplan and one of the GMAT prep exams. I found that my Kaplan results were very low in relation to other tests. I found PR quant questions to be easier than those in the OG and in other exams, however, I found verbal harder (English is my second language so verbal is very hard for me). Even though I know GMAT prep exams are the best for practice, when I took it several questions were identical to those of the OG, one of the reading comp texts and questions were exactly the same. I'm taking the GMAT next month so I am leaving MGMAT CATs for last, since I've heard those are the best. Any other ideas? Do you know anything about the McGrawHill book? Is it really as bad as everyone says?

Thanks!

by edward.feng » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:07 am
I'd like to hear more from people who have recently taken the actual GMAT to compare there scores with practice tests from Kaplan/MGMAT. I've found my scores to be very consistent between the two, even though the experience when taking the tests are very different (at least for quant). Although, I find the MGMAT quant to be much more difficult than Kaplan's, my raw scores usually turn out the same(mostly b/c of careless mistakes on Kaplan). I'd really like to know what to expect on the GMAT, Kaplan quant or MGMAT quant (I'm planning on taking GMATprep in a few weeks).

The explanations and organization of the MGMAT CATs are vastly superior to Kaplan's. MGMAT breaks down the difficulty of each question, category, time spent vs target time, and my favorite feature, shows you how well you were doing on a test as you were taking it, in terms of percentile.

As far as the point about the actual GMAT not necessarily giving you harder questions after answering a correct one. I believe MGMAT does the same, since sometimes after getting a question right, the next question is in a lower bracket of difficulty.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by prateek_guy2004 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:20 am
Why i got myself Princeton review, i mean the book is really nice but lack of practice tests, i need manhattan, guess would buy online 8 mock test..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by Taran » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 pm
Any comments on the tests from Master GMAT?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GoBlue » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 am
I took a few of MasterGMAT tests. I would say the 1st 4 seemed pretty good. However, the verbal RC gets repeated after the 2nd test or so. But overall the prep program is worth it. I will let you know the details once I am done with my GMAT 20 days from now.

How about Grockit CAT compared to GMATPrep ? Anyone ...

by ronaldo7 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:19 am
Are there already practice tests which include the new integrated reasoning section?

Followed by:3 members

by fangtray » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:33 pm
Many people who have been successful at the GMAT claim that retaking the GMAT prep over and over is better because of how much more real it is. thoughts?

Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:47 pm
I agree that Kaplan scores totally didn't line up. I got a 550 on Kaplan but got 700s on GMATprep, Manhattan and 800score.com Maybe I was drunk and didn't realize it when I took the Kaplan test?

It's only useful to take practice tests if you make sure to learn from your mistakes. Otherwise you're just practicing pacing more than anything.
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 am
Hi, guys, someone just pointed something out to me and I came here to correct a small piece of misinformation. It's actually not the case that MGMAT CATs automatically give you something harder for the very next question when you get something right or easier when you get something wrong. We address the full set of factors (including mix of question type and content area, discrimination levels of the available questions, and so on) - which means that it is possible to get a somewhat easier question even when you get something right or a somewhat harder question when you get something wrong. In other words, we are doing what the real test does.

Also, someone else mentioned up-thread that RC passages can be repeated. We did have a glitch at one point where this happened (we had to make some edits and that caused a glitch where the algorithm thought the passages were new), but that's not the standard - RC passages are also "locked out" (not repeated) within any set of 6 tests, as with any other test questions.

Happy studying!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by Aloki » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm
Hi guys,

about Knewton qnd Kaplan tests, I would like to get access to either one of those but I don't want to pay for the full access to the course. Do they also sell the access to the CATs as a stand alone product or by buying a book alone (as mgmat does) or there is no way to get them without spending 300$+ ? Thx !

by Bpetteway » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:38 pm
What is the problem with princeton's practice test? I'm doing horrible on them