2 weeks before exam, what to do?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

2 weeks before exam, what to do?

by confused13 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 pm
Hi
I have 2 weeks left until my exam and I am getting a bit nervous. These are my CAT results

GMATPrep 1
IR 4, Q38, V26 || 540

MGMAT1
Q39, V26 || 540

MGMAT2
Q43, V 27 || 580

MGMAT3
Q48, V 37 || 700

MGMAT4
Q44, V38 || 680

GMATPrep 1 Retake
IR 4, Q47, V34 || 650

GMATPrep2
Q49, V35 || 690

I don't know what to do for the final days: Should I do as many OG Questions as possible, review my stuff or invest some time into learning new stuff?
E.g. on SC I feel insecure sometimes, so maybe but I worked through the MGMAT SC guide twice! But SC is not the huge game breaker (my accuracy is highest on SC followed by CR and then RC)

I planned to take one further CAT next week.

I don't expect that a miracle will happen on test day that gets me super-brainy and I will score beyond 720, so I try to use these last days as good as possible.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:53 pm
If I were you, I'd keep taking practice tests and carefully analyze each one afterwards. While analyzing your practice tests, there are four main types of weakness to watch out for:
1. specific Quant skills/concepts (e.g., algebra, standard deviation, etc.)
2. specific Verbal skills/concepts (e.g., verb tenses, assumption CR questions, etc.)
3. test-taking skills (time management, endurance, anxiety etc.)
4. silly mistakes

For the first two weaknesses, the fix is pretty straightforward. Learn the concept/skill and find some practice questions to strengthen that weakness. To focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these. For example, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244.

Finally, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 am
Hi confused13,

Since you've made some great improvements and you're right on the cusp of 700+, you shouldn't be over-doing anything during these last 2 weeks. You should still plan to take 1-2 more CATs, but the bulk of your time should be spent on review and working on your "precision." At your current level, a "chunk" of your missing points will be due to silly mistakes. Eliminating those silly mistakes will do far more for your score than trying to cram in a ton of material.

The issue now is quality or quantity. Go back and review your earliest work, redo questions, focus on proper organization and note-taking.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sultana199 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:09 am
Hi, Nervousness can't make a good result. So, don't do it and organize your study in some portions so that you can finish it before your exam. Best of luck.