2 Times Left to Beat the GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

2 Times Left to Beat the GMAT

by JoeMary » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:22 pm
Hi everybody, my name is Joe and I have two opportunities more to beat the gmat.

So, after spending 75USD on the enhanced reports I realized I did a big mistake. I though my quant score on my 2 gmat exam was 82... while that was my verbal score.

So far these are my scores of the actual exam.
1. 690, V37 Q47
2. 660, V37 Q44
3. 660, V40 Q42

My 4 official gmatprep exams range are in order> 700, 740, 690, 730.

Next time I will sit will be on Oct 31 and I already asked for a week off prior to the exam in my job. Any advice how should I better prepare? I feel I know almost everything and I need a good day and dont do stupid mistakes.

BTW, on the last exam I was in the 36th percentile in PS and 86th in DS.

Thank you!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:25 am
Hi JoeMary,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before each of your Official GMATs?
2) What study materials did you use for each attempt?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by JoeMary » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 am
Hi Rich, thanks for the reply.

Studies:
1. I sat for the exams on June 27th, August 12th and September 12th. Between the 2 & 3 exam I read my scores incorrectly, I thought my Q score was 80+ and for some reason (nervousness) I lagged in verbal. After buying the enhanced reports and seeing I was wrong now its clear I need to step up my math work.

2. First exam, Official Guide and Magoosh, Second Exam Official and Magoosh (more Magoosh as I ran out of questions from the official exam). Third exam, magoosh (re did questions) and the gmatprep packs.

Goals:
3: Above 700.
4. Ideally second round but I was trying to not think much about it and focus on the gmat first.
5. Ideally top 20, Standford, Harvard, NYU, Chicago, Ross. To be honest I didnt thought much about it.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:34 pm
Hi JoeMary,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official GMAT scores are all remarkably close to one another, which means that you treated all 3 Exams in the same general way. You do certain things consistent well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. With these scores, you're remarkably close to a 700+ score right now, but since you have not been able to cross that threshold, it stands to reason that continuing to study in the same ways as before (and with the same materials as before) will probably not get you to your goal. This is all meant to say that you would likely benefit from investing in some new practice materials and learning/practicing some new Tactics.

1) Did you have to rush to finish any of the sections (and guess on a bunch of questions at the end of the section) when you took the GMAT?

Rich

by JoeMary » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm
I agree with you, new material might help. I was planning on using manhattan books but Im afraid it could take too long. Any recommendations?

In math I managed my time well. At the beginning I felt I was rushing as I was behind the 2 minutes per question proxy but according to the results I got a 83% correct during the first half, which declined later. I did probably rush a little in the end.

Based on the time chart pies, I should somehow know my weak points because it seems I spent a lot of time with incorrect questions (if i am reading the charts correctly).

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:00 pm
Hi JoeMary,

Since your Verbal Scores are all so strong, you could pick up the missing points in the Quant section with just a bit more work. Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:09 am
Hi JoeMary,

A score of 42 in quant is a great start, but to further increase your quant score (and also to help hit a 700+ score) you need to find and fix any remaining weak areas. Thus, you might consider following an approach of focused practice of each GMAT quant topic. For example, if you are reviewing number properties, be sure that you can practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. The results of that practice will help you determine your weak areas within that topic. Once you find and fix your weak areas, then move on to the next quant topic.

If you would like some help determining your quant strengths and weaknesses, I welcome you to take my free 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you will be provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of GMAT quant topics, as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews