1000 CR test3

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

1000 CR test3

by magical cook » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:02 pm
Hi,

I am confused with this logical statement - the correct answer is E) but could anyone explain this logic??

The following proposal to amend the bylaws of an organization was circulated to its members for comment.
When more than one nominee is to be named for an office, prospective nominees must consent to nomination and before giving such consent must be told who the other nominees will be.

Which of the following comments concerning the logic of the proposal is accurate if it cannot be known who the actual nominees are until prospective nominees have given their consent to be nominated?
(A) The proposal would make it possible for each of several nominees for an office to be aware of who all of the other nominees are.
(B) The proposal would widen the choice available to those choosing among the nominees.
(C) If there are several prospective nominees, the proposal would deny the last nominee equal treatment with the first.
(D) The proposal would enable a prospective nominee to withdraw from competition with a specific person without making that withdrawal known.
(E) If there is more than one prospective nominee, the proposal would make it impossible for anyone to become a nominee.

by rajesh_ctm » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:56 pm
prospective nominees must consent to nomination and before giving such consent must be told who the other nominees will be.

This is circular logic! Each one wants to know who the others are, before giving consent. Where do you start? How do you know who is a nominee? If there is a nominee existing, he must have been told that you are a nominee too otherwise his condition is not met, but you are not yet a nominee!

I am not sure how to explain it in words, sorry!

Followed by:1 members

by magical cook » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:37 pm
Thanks for trying - it seems my reading skill is not enough :cry: to understand this question....(I read over and over but still can't seem to get the logic...)

by jrbrown2 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:23 pm
I originally thought that the question was asking what would happen if a situation was changed. I guess that's not the case.

The statement says that each nominee must be told who the other nominees are b4 giving their consent for nomination. (i.e. The nominees have to know who they're up against before deciding whether to compete)

The ques. then asks what if the nominees aren't told who they're up against until they give their consent.

If they're not told who they're up against, then, as per the proposal, the nominees don't give their consent. So nothing happens. It would be impossible for anyone to become a nominee. A Catch-22. Hence E

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by micheal_kr » Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 am
E should be the answer