10% Improvement in 4 weeks?

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

10% Improvement in 4 weeks?

by stvoranges » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 pm
Hello, world.

I need a bit of help - I have not yet scheduled the GMAT but I am planning to take it in the next 4-6 weeks (so I have a month for essays and to apply for 2017 by end of round 2). Currently, I am hovering in the 660 range (Q44, V37) with a target score of 720. I only tried IR once with a score of 7, and have not taken on the essay yet. Is that big of a jump possible? If so - what do you, the experts, recommend and are there any key resources I am missing?

What I have done:

I have been studying intermittently over the past few months, but admittedly not as focused as I would have liked despite a fairly accommodating schedule. I have used the following resources:
- 2 MGAT Practice Exams
- 2 GMAT Prep Practice Exams
- 2 Economist "micro" tests (about 1 hr worth of questions)
- Have read through the majority of the Manhattan GMAT books and taken notes
- MGMAT online course for Verbal only (almost complete, though may have omitted a few assignments)
- Several chapters from Kaplan GMAT Review Book
- Various GMAT Prep Now video tutorials
- Completed most of the OG Quant problems with varying levels of success (did pretty well through the easy / medium ones, so I assume I have the basics down and am just having trouble with the 700 level Qs)
- Completed most OG Verbal RC questions
- Flashcards for basic quant topics, SC grammar rules

Resources I have but have not yet leveraged:
- 4 more MGAT CAT Exams
- 6 Veritas Prep CAT Exams
- The majority of MGAT Advance Quant book
- Majority of Powerscore Bible CR book
- Good amount of OG questions for CR and SC
- Membership with beat the gmat, gmat prep now for free tools
- Is there anything else I am missing that you have found to be a silver bullet?

I probably have around 15-20 a week to study if my day job work-load stays reasonable. Again, since I am in the 80th percentile I assume I have most of the basic concepts down, but could use some advice to power through the higher difficulty questions and to achieve my goal!

PLEASE HELP!

All the best,
SPO

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:29 pm
Hi stvoranges,

If you've never taken a FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), then your score results are likely a bit 'inflated' (since you took a shorter Exam that required less overall effort). As such, we don't actually know your current ability level - it's likely less than 660 though. By extension, you likely have more work to do to hit your goal score than you probably realize. To properly assess your current skills, we need a realistic practice result - so you should plan to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), take it away from your home, at a time of day that matches when you'll likely take the GMAT, etc. Once you have that result, you should post back here and we can talk through how best to proceed.

As an aside, this is a 'busy' time of year for most Test Centers - and their appointments tend to fill up quickly. Have you checked the availability of Test appointments yet? You might want to 'lock in' a Test Date now so that you can pick a day/time that works best for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]