1 month < GMAT, and I need some study assistance

This topic has 3 member replies
kashewman Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
8 messages

1 month < GMAT, and I need some study assistance

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:07 am
Hey everyone,
1 - Thanks for the blog and the posts, the information is great.
2 - I am coming up under one month, 9/6 is my GMAT date, and I'm starting to stress a little. I routinely score in the mid 600's. Two or three errors on each side are careless mistakes, but the two/three areas I find difficult are:
-Math, high-level geometry and algebra data sufficiency. I typically miss about 6 questions and 4 are within these two groups. Does anyone have a good guide on how to work through some of these two problems, diagrams inscribed in diagrams and coordinate geometry seem to be tricky for me.
-Verbal, sentence correction, wow. Of the 10 I get wrong, about 70% are SC's. I know there is a ton of information out there, but does someone have a suggestion of where to start? I have the 10th edition OG, I downloaded all the materials on this site, and I have the Kaplan 800 book, so I think I have almost too much information.
Can anyone help me break down a week to week study strategy? I am thinking from here on out spend about 75% of my time on Verbal and 25% on math here on out. Start with the Kaplan 800 and supplement questions with the OG 10th. Does this sound all right? Assistance please!

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:45 pm
kashewman wrote:
Hey everyone,
1 - Thanks for the blog and the posts, the information is great.
2 - I am coming up under one month, 9/6 is my GMAT date, and I'm starting to stress a little. I routinely score in the mid 600's. Two or three errors on each side are careless mistakes, but the two/three areas I find difficult are:
-Math, high-level geometry and algebra data sufficiency. I typically miss about 6 questions and 4 are within these two groups. Does anyone have a good guide on how to work through some of these two problems, diagrams inscribed in diagrams and coordinate geometry seem to be tricky for me.
-Verbal, sentence correction, wow. Of the 10 I get wrong, about 70% are SC's. I know there is a ton of information out there, but does someone have a suggestion of where to start? I have the 10th edition OG, I downloaded all the materials on this site, and I have the Kaplan 800 book, so I think I have almost too much information.
Can anyone help me break down a week to week study strategy? I am thinking from here on out spend about 75% of my time on Verbal and 25% on math here on out. Start with the Kaplan 800 and supplement questions with the OG 10th. Does this sound all right? Assistance please!
Hi kashewman:

Since you have just one month to prepare for the GMAT, I would recommend reading this post: http://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=98

During your month, you should do lots of practice problems and practice tests. I recommend going through the OG book very thoroughly. Since this book features actual (retired) GMAT questions, you well get a good sense of how questions are structured as well as common test patterns by studying this book carefully.

With regard to Math, I believe that the Kaplan 800 book has some good strategies for the topics you are currently struggling with.

With regard to SC, I would recommend reading these two guides, along with doing a lot of practice from OG:

These free guides will provide you a good foundation to begin your SC prep. I know you are reluctant to purchase more texts, but I would highly recommend that you consider buying

This book is considered the Bible of SC, and I've heard people making dramatic improvement just from this book.

If you need suggestions on how to efficiently use your time to study, I would recommend reading through the posts on my blog: http://beatthegmat.blogspot.com

In this blog I've carefully documented my day-to-day study schedule--use it as an example for your own studies.

Best of luck!

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

kashewman Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
8 messages
Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:14 pm
Thanks Eric, I appreciate your advice. I'm ready to make this happen!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:27 pm
kashewman wrote:
Thanks Eric, I appreciate your advice. I'm ready to make this happen!
Best of luck, kashewman! Please continue to use this forum for any questions you may have about the GMAT!

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 ardz24 64 topics
3 swerve 63 topics
4 LUANDATO 62 topics
5 M7MBA 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

170 posts
2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

129 posts
3 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

122 posts
4 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

121 posts
5 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

118 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts